Tools to have on-hand

Roadrunner777

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bemidji, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 4x4 Sport 88k
I guess I have been on this forum a few years, getting help, trying to help. I frequently see people challenged because they lack a few basic tools specific to the Explorer, things that are easy and cheaper to buy on-line before the crisis hits. Nobody, myself included wants to buy things they may not need in the future. But, my experience suggests these are good investments:

1. The computer doesn't have a fuel pressure sensor. So, a fuel pressure problem really cannot be diagnosed without a fuel pressure gauge, such as this: http://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP7818...&keywords=fuel pressure gauge&tag=53363387-20 You may find one locally at twice the price... your choice.

2. You can try to read computer codes with flashing check engine light. Nothing wrong with that. I can't... I get confused. I got this reader, which includes excellent instructions: http://www.amazon.com/Equus-3145-Fo...id=1374089963&sr=8-6&keywords=odb+code+reader Orielly's usually has this in stock, if you are near a store.

3. This one, if you don't have it, you will come to a grinding halt doing your ball joints. You will not find it locally at any price. The front ABS sensors are secured with... who did this anyway... a 12 point 6mm bolt in a deep recess. There is one and only one socket that works. Here it is: http://www.kahntools.com/6mm-12-pt-torqueplusr-deep-socket-1-4-dr.html

Anyway, that's my experience. I have tried substituting alcoholic beverages, but it really didn't help in the long run. If anyone has additions... have at it!

Added:

4. The MAF is secured with Torx security screws. You might find the tool bits at Ace Hardware. Online at: http://www.amazon.com/Silverhill-Po...1374092846&sr=8-5&keywords=torx+security+bits

5. Spindle nut socket. If you have manual hubs, you need this: http://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-648474-Spindle-Socket-Inner/dp/B0015UV6IO For auto hubs, 2-3/8 regular hex socket, but remember it is keyed, and you have to pull the key before you try to remove the nut.

6. I just thought of this. It's not a tool exactly. But, it will save your butt if you take the time. The Exp uses relays for a number of tasks, such as the fuel pump, heater blower, ABS, and so on. They use a generic connection scheme, so one can replace another. So, I will add a relay such as this. http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=38944&cc=1119631 but, you should find one at any good car parts store. My point is to buy one in advance and throw it in the glove compartment. It's an easy $10 to spend and will serve you well down the road.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Front spindle nut tool. I don't go far from home without that and a breaker bar. There's been too many cases of the nuts loosening up.

921960.jpg

Front spindle nut tool. I don't go far from home without that and a breaker bar.

Hammer and a punch work too (thats what I use now, although I do carry the spindle nut tool).

Another thing that comes in handy for a 1st gen X is a 28mm socket (Radius arm nut). I also have a cut down 1 1/16" box end (cut the open end off) that I use when I need to pull the RA from the Axle beam. The end is cut off so I can put a high lift jack handle over the end to get enough torque on it..

for "in the shop" you should also have a set of Torx and e-torx. e-torx for the fuel rail studs and torx for things like Seats etc. And Security torx for the MAF sensor.

~Mark

Thsi seems liek a good thread for people to chime in and add to and have it stickied. (sorry right now i cant add much since i really havent worked on my explorer much at all yet)

Hammer and a punch work too (thats what I use now, although I do carry the spindle nut tool).

Another thing that comes in handy for a 1st gen X is a 28mm socket (Radius arm nut). I also have a cut down 1 1/16" box end (cut the open end off) that I use when I need to pull the RA from the Axle beam. The end is cut off so I can put a high lift jack handle over the end to get enough torque on it..

for "in the shop" you should also have a set of Torx and e-torx. e-torx for the fuel rail studs and torx for things like Seats etc. And Security torx for the MAF sensor.

~Mark

Ah yes, I have the wrench and socket for the radius arms, also works for the stock front spring retainers.

IamTodd... can you give me a part number on the spindle socket? I have the same socket in my shed, damn thing ran away I guess. Thanks if you can. That's the good one, by the by. There are cheaper ones where the socket has tabs sticking out, not so good.

IamTodd... can you give me a part number on the spindle socket? I have the same socket in my shed, damn thing ran away I guess. Thanks if you can. That's the good one, by the by. There are cheaper ones where the socket has tabs sticking out, not so good.

The powerbuilt 648474 is like the one IamTodd posted.. its $13 @ amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-648474-Spindle-Socket-Inner/dp/B0015UV6IO)

I have one like that (don't remember the brand).. its really hard to get it on the inner nut but thats no big deal since that one is really only finger tight.

~Mark

you know, I'm old school. I have a company cell phone which I never use because I don't do field work anymore. But, it's there. I'm in Northern Minnesota, and in winter, it's not uncommon to have a deer shoot across the bow and off we go into a ditch in the middle of nowhere.

You are dead right. A cell phone, even a tossaway pay per use one can be a life saver.

Part number on mine is kd3927. I picked it up at a swap meet for $10. I also have the one with the 4 tabs but got tired of it slipping off the nut.

It doesn't hurt to have a fuel line disconnect tool. I also keep a serpentine belt tool kit in my truck.

You may have seen my efforts to help this guy in the Caribbean. I swear, getting a peanut butter sandwich to him cost a fortune. A disconnect tool cost him something like $30.

Anyway, so noted on the disconnect tool. Do you recall the socket size on the belt tensioner? I'm thinking 12mm, but it's been a while.

5/8" is what I have used for the belt tensioner, IIRC.

I also add a torque wrench for my tools I always carry, in addition to those mentioned before.

I just carry a serpentine belt tool set. I can't even remember what size my first gen was, or what my second gen uses. Either way, you are everyone's best friend when you show up on the side of the road and change their belt for them. Then again, I've got almost everything sitting in my truck I would need to take it apart on the side of the road.

Edit: Ran out and checked on my truck and my neighbor's first gen. 13mm I'm not sure if all of them are that size, or if it is because I put a replacement tensioner in her truck last year.

I think the lug wrench actually fits the nut on the belt tensioner. Fan clutch tool is also nice to have.

REVIVED THREAD:
Instead of a tire iron I keep a Craftsman 1/2" breaker bar and 3/4" socket snapped in where the stock tire iron used to be. After I go to W-mart tire store the stock tire iron will not easily undo the lug nuts but my breaker bar will !

Back