Top 5 performance modifications for a newbie. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Top 5 performance modifications for a newbie.

Doug.Spencer

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLS 4x
Hey guys, It's my first time on the forum. I got a 2000 Explorer XLS 4.0 OHV. I was recently at the Woodward Dream Cruise in Detroit this past weekend. And I loved it. It got me to want to boost my Explorer. I was wondering what were some of you guys' best performance modifications on a budget. I know that may be difficult.

I was looking at Cold Air Intakes, new exhuast, maybe new plugs and wires. But I don't know good brands or fits for the explorer, or a good place to start. Any help on specific brands and mods will be greatly appreciated. Look forward to learning more.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check out the links in my signature. Few free/near free mods in there. Cold air intake is good (amsoil i believe makes one as well as K&N). A catback or full exhaust will help. Then you can always do tires and wheels if u wanna help out looks. Plugs and wires are always good too.

do you have a wheeler or a street truck? if its a street truck go exhaust intake, easy and good performance boost. if you want wheeling performance boost in terms of off roading, you cant go wrong with some new wheels and some mud tires. a TT/shackle lift maybe, and some good shocks.

I'm aiming more towards the street truck. I have never really done much off-roading. I just mainly want to improve street performance.

For new plugs and wires, what is a good high performance match for a 2000 4.0 OHV?

jlsparky7 how do I find your links in your signature?

just click the links on the bottom of his posts. just use the search bar on this forum and type in "high performance sparkplug wires" or something like that. you should some good discussions on the topic. another lightweight mod you can make that a lot of guys swear by on this site is a throttle body mod, or maybe a an electric fan. ive never been a believer in chipping, but you could look into that as well.

I'm aiming more towards the street truck. I have never really done much off-roading. I just mainly want to improve street performance.

For new plugs and wires, what is a good high performance match for a 2000 4.0 OHV?

jlsparky7 how do I find your links in your signature?

Plugs and wires i would stay with the oem motorcraft.

Top performance mods according to Aldive would be gettting a tune, electric fan, and under drive pullies. The tune should be the last thing you get. Match these mods up with an open air intake and performance exhaust and you should feel a noticable increase in power.
Best bang for the buck though would be nitrous.

Back