Completed Project - Top Mount TURBO Explorer V8 | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project Top Mount TURBO Explorer V8

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
Definitely super work. It's looking almost done, and you haven't lost much from the engine bay. My last look at mine before nixing the turbo idea was to have it there behind where the air cleaner was. I couldn't figure how one would fit there and have space for the exhaust too, besides the AC. I was willing to move the overflow bottle and WS, but the exhaust looked not possible. Well done.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It does look really good with the battery on one side and the turbo on the other.
Have you found an air filter to fit in there?

It does look really good with the battery on one side and the turbo on the other.
Have you found an air filter to fit in there?
Thanks. There are filters that will fit but they look terrible. . Im primarily going to use a screen. When I take it on the highway I'll just throw the filter on.

Thanks. There are filters that will fit but they look terrible. . Im primarily going to use a screen. When I take it on the highway I'll just throw the filter on.
Can you open the space where the old air cleaner pulled air, enough to fit a filter there, even pointed down?

If i can get a 90 degree elbow on the turbo, i could.

What is the area there you might be able to create for a filter? Amsoil no longer makes stock sized air filters, but they still have a lot of universal sizes that may fit in the space.

I have the whole stock space for mine and I picked an oval version that I plan to build a box(air cleaner) around. Anything would be better than no filter, air debris eats an engine from the inside if it ingests it. Try to get something to fit there.

Try this Amsoil page, at the bottom are some of the dimensions, not all of those come up in the availability at the top;
AMSOIL Ea Universal Air Induction Filters

It would have to be a cone filter and i would have to do some trimming to get a "normal" size one to fit.

If i trim out the section i marked white, i could put on a 90 degree elbow with a filter pointing down. Id probably have to trim some of the inner fender to fit the filter as well.

IMG_20180427_232622.jpg

IMG_20180427_232616.jpg

Oh I forgot, you are using a SD system right, no way to stick a MAF in there? There might be room going down behind the headlight there, for a filter. It would need to be something you could service regularly. The Amsoil EA filters are not oiled, and made to be cleaned. They recommend vacuuming them lightly once a year, and say they can last four years. That's about the best kind that could survive there and not have to be replaced often like oiled and other cheap filters.

Running a blow through maf. Ill look intp the filter. Thanks

Oops, I forgot about the intake and MAF you are using. That radiator support you can take out the little you need, to make an elbow fit there.

Charge pipe finished. Exhaust will be finished tomorrow.

IMG_20180502_202340.jpg

IMG_20180502_234610.jpg

Nice work!
I have that same Dewalt sawzall, that thing is heavy as hell but cuts through anything!

Well, its running. Sound in the video is terrible . It sounds really good though.

Still need to button up a few things and get it tuned.

IMG_20180512_111456.jpg

I'm super impressed with what you have done/are doing.
Amazing stuff with little welding.
I love your innovation.

How is that catch can? I see it has a vent on it. Is there a check valve on that vent so it only opens when there's positive pressure in the crank case?
I'm always curious to see how people do there crank case venting.

I'm super impressed with what you have done/are doing.
Amazing stuff with little welding.
I love your innovation.

How is that catch can? I see it has a vent on it. Is there a check valve on that vent so it only opens when there's positive pressure in the crank case?
I'm always curious to see how people do there crank case venting.

Ditto, the PCV system is very important for boost applications. We love the pictures/videos, and any new ideas. Keep going,

Thanks a lot. I do have a check valve. The pcv system, as simple as it really is, took me a little while to sort out. I have a few more videos to upload. Im going to try to do a multi part series on the build, covering each step, what i did and why.

Idle.

geezus. if i that thing rolled up along side of me with that idle, i would turn the opposite way!
would you be able to do this for me. i would like a picture of how close your fuel rails are to both sides of the valve covers, and also a measurement from inside to inside of the rails as well

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back