Top trans bolt won’t catch thread | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Top trans bolt won’t catch thread

There are a couple of things which could be done to remove the broken bolt. Do you have left handed drill bits, easy outs, and other types of extractors? Do you have access to a stud welding gun? You could weld a stud to the broken bolt then use a Vice Grip to turn it out.
The bolt would most likely come out fairly easy by drilling it and using an easy out. But the engine is in and fully assembled, really don’t want to yank it again for one bolt.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Imho seven bolts are enough

Just so you know there are only 7 bolts. 2 at bottom, 3 in drivers side and 2 in passenger side. That hole you found is actually for that transmission to bolt up to 4.0 ohv, it doesn't line up on the sohc.

Just so you know there are only 7 bolts. 2 at bottom, 3 in drivers side and 2 in passenger side. That hole you found is actually for that transmission to bolt up to 4.0 ohv, it doesn't line up on the sohc.
I assumed it was the 4.6 listed in his profile.

7 will hold
I too was wondering if there are supposed to be 8 I remember having this happen to me a few times w sohc, it appears a bolt goes there but one actually does not

Back