• Register Today It's free!

Toqure converter lock up mod?

mnexplorer87

Reaction score
City, State
LAKEVILLE MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 EXPLORER
does anyone know what pin on the ecu is for the toqure converter lock up. i remember seeing a write up about it but cant find it. the write up is about putting a toggle switch in it so the converter stays locked in 3rd and 4th thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't remember seeing a writeup about it, but I know the a4ld is electronically inhibited from going into lockup or 4th gear.

Bascially the ECM grounds a solenoid which then allows the trans to shift into OD or lockup.

Your not supposed to ground the pin at the ECM as that will piss it off (and maybe let the magic smoke out) since the 5v supplied to the trans solenoid is supplied by the ECM and will draw too much power from the ECM. Its been a long time since I looked into the wiring on an a4ld, but that is how I reemmber it.

If there is some way to ground the Solenoid so it will kick without drawing too much power from the ECM I could see this mod working, I just don't remember seeing anyone doing it.

~Mark

so did you all figure out how to lock it up?

thanx but messin the ecu might make the magic smoke come out, I'm going to see if I can isolate the circuit and the overrides for it. I also want to figure out how keep it in my gear of choice and still have it act like an auto, and to be able to swap back and forth between a quasi manual and full auto.

Ive started to look around in the junkyards for a couple of donar tranny's to tinker around with. Got a couple of rat rod mags and have noticed the rear-ends have a gearbox on the pumpkin, was wondering if it was a gearbox or what.

I looked into a manual od and 3/4 shift and one thing I remember reading is not to ground the signal wire on the solenoid. From what i remember the grojnd/signal wire on the solenoid isnt actually a ground. If you fround that wire, from what i read, you will let the magic smoke out of the ecm since it will pull more power from the hot wire on the solenoids than the ecm can deliver.

Of course... Thats from reading and I read that a while ago. I swotched to the 700r4 before I went farther into the 3/4 / od mod.

~Mark

Back