• Register Today It's free!

Tornado Fuel & Performance Add On

edman

Reaction score
City, State
Monsey, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Explorer Sport
I was looking at ordering the Tornado attachment for my Ex. I see it on TV adverstised alot and was wondering if anyone out there has tried this and if it is any good or just a waste of money. It's simple to install and costs about $60 bucks (no big lose if it is worthless).

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Take your $60 outside and lite a match to it... thats exactly what you will be doing if you purchase that worthless POS.

Its just snake oil....

Thanks sounds good to me....

Save $30 more and go get a KKM, it does what the torando does and more by removing all the restriction from your air box. I think the KKM is the best mod you can do for under $100. A Cat-Back exhaust would be next, but that takes around $200.

Duh, I am stupid, you already have an exhaust and a K&N.

:eek:

Thanks for the reply, I was just trying to see if I could get some more horsepower under the hood and some added fuel economy.

:bounce:

Originally posted by edman
Thanks for the reply, I was just trying to see if I could get some more horsepower under the hood and some added fuel economy.

Ok, a KKM, and a Diablo or Superchip should get you another 15-20 hp and some better mileage when you take it easy.

you might get slightly better gas mileage with a chip (though the companies make no claims about improved MPG), but you'll have to spend more for the gas anyway since you need to use premium unleaded with a chip.

I have been thinking about a chip for a while now maybe that might be a good idea, but do I have to change any other parts before I go with the chip (like a better MAF / Throttle Body, etc...) I seen some on this site who have added chips and also made these other changes (I guess what I am asking is it necessary to do them also when adding the new chip). Like the Granetelli MAF is better then factory but costs a pretty penny.
I was also thinking maybe drilling the air box but mine has the round cone shaped one and I not sure if that would be a good idea. I've seen on the site guys say it really helps with getting some extra pep.

drilling the box will help a little.

you dont have to upgrade stuff to get a chip. but dont get a chip if you want to save money. IF you acutally save a few pennies each tank of gas, it would still take forever to break even and cover the cost of the chip. and if you start adding things like the MAF and TB, forget about it. get the chip if you want performance, not fuel economy.

What a shame can't get both performance and fuel savings (just kidding), honestly better performance is really what I am looking for I was just hoping better fuel economy could be mixed in but that's the price for extra pony's under the hood.
Thanks, maybe the chip might be what I am looking for, would you know if there is a big difference between maybe the superchip and the diablo (performance wise).

Also I can drill into the cone covering without really affecting anything??? I am banging my head thinking about doing this mode :banghead:

Troll can get you the best price for a Diablo chip. just send him an email and say you're from explorerforum.

lots of people drilled their airbox and i havent heard a single complaint.

Thanks, let you know what happens

There is a cheap way to get a bigger MAS sensor (and add a K&N too). All it takes is a trip to the autowrecker. Look for the MAS from a newer Explorer like a 98 or from a Mustang 94 or newer. If you get a MAS from a newer T-bird SC they have a sensor that will allow a K&N to slip over the end, eliminating the air box and it is 86mm. The only mod is making a small bracket to steady the MAS from moving around.

Also just switch your existing sensor ( the black electronic module on top of the aluminum housing ) on to the new MAS housing.

We talk about the Tornado alot on the board as being a rip off.. but has anyone acutally tried it? Just curious. I would like to see numbers either way.

nick

Edman, click on 95 XLT 4DR 4X4 in my sig. and look for customized air box. I have 2 pics that show what I did instead of drilling holes. I also used a cone filter from a 96 v-8 Ex instead of my v-6. You will see why from the pics.

Originally posted by flyguy
We talk about the Tornado alot on the board as being a rip off.. but has anyone acutally tried it? Just curious. I would like to see numbers either way.

nick
Nick,
Popular Mechanics did a report on it and their conclusion was that the only thing that it increased was lifting money out of your pocket book. It showed no increase in performance or economy.

Huh... intresting. Usually its the magazines saying they work. Guess they dont advertise there. :) I think there were some people on the board at one time saying they worked. Most say they saw an increase in milage.. .but I would like to see one on the dyno.

nick

The Tornado has been proven worthless by many test centers around the country, not just popular mechanics. It's up to you if you want to buy something that has been proven ineffective. When you have the product tested by independent labs and they say it's ineffective, why allow you're desire for more mileage influence your common sense and feed their pocket books and encourage more rip offs in the future?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you guys noticed there are alot of automotive rip offs? I mean... even stuff like K&N filters... on the box dont they calim these huge gains? Crazy stuff.

nick

Back