Bill Kemp

Elite Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Greenville, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Mountaineer 5.0 AWD
I was just reading Erics post about the platinum injection and I wondered if any one had ever tried the gizzmo you put in the air intake to create a "tornado under the hood" and improve milage. I always want to believe this stuff and I'm still not sure if those x-ray glasses worked for anyone. Didnt do a thing for me.
Anyway any reports on the "Tornado"?

------------------
Bill Kemp 96 XLT 4x4 4.0 OHV

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Bill,
Don't waste you money. I think it was Popular Mechanics that did a test on it and found that it did nothing except lighten you pocketbook.

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L.
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC
Dead Link Removed

Thanks Ray. Say...anything on the x-ray glasses?

------------------
Bill Kemp 96 XLT 4x4 4.0 OHV

I tried that tornado thing a while back and surpisingly didnt notice a diffrence. However, sense then I have done some mods.. and was wondering if the tornado would acually restrict air flow. I never saw any reviews on it so I dont know what the deal is.. any info would help! :)

Nick

Hello? It's Worthless!

Ray, I guess no one listens to you anymore. I cannot remember where the study was and the original thread is gone.

Please take the trouble to re-read Ray's post:
IT DON'T WORK
YES IF ANYTHING IT WOULD RESTRICT AIRFLOW

Trkmagic tried two on two different vehicles with no results. The original thread from last year is long gone, but this was discussed in detail. Try searching for "tornado" and "pogue" for interesting leftover threads. I have yet to hear a firsthand report from someone I know that says it works, all the great endorsements by paid advertisers and radio DJs notwithstanding on the websearch.

Nick, you just added to the data and STILL asked the question! You yourself just said it didn't do any good! If you don't believe your own self I don't know what to tell you or why you should believe anyone else either.

I'm always saying we don't need to spout off opinions without learning hard data. It didn't work for Brian "Trkmagic" Green. It didn't work for you. If you have a SOHC, I invite you to send the Tornado you have that didn't work for you to me, and I'll add to the database by trying it out for three tanks of fuel before returning it to you. I will honesly report the results.

[Edited by GJarrett on 06-03-2000 at 10:07 AM]

Heh, thanks for the confermation. But I wanted to make sure before trashing it. Even if it was a 1hp gain and some fuel economy (which is much needed) I would keep it.. but its hard to tell small gains by just "feel". Well.. off it goes or maybe it will make a good blender attachment.

Nick

Actually, it would be very easy for me to accurately measure it's effect in one afternoon when I didn't have anything better to do.

My '99 EB has the onboard trip computer, and I have a relatively flat Interstate 30 pointing straight east from me.

I install the Tornado, reset my computer, drive 50 miles east on cruise control, turn back and return. Note the fuel consumption to the nearest tenth of a gallon on the 100 mile roundtrip. Remove the Tornado, reset the computer, and repeat the trip. Note the computer readout again and compare results.

A roundtrip is needed to perfectly balance any directional differences, such as going against the wind one way and having a tailwind on the way back. Done on the same afternoon should negate as many other issues as possible.

I'd have to pretty bored to fart away a whole afternoon burning up gas just for grins. If you have a trip computer though you could do it yourself.

Cant say that I do. But I would be very intrested in the results, good or bad. Feeling bored yet? Hehe. I sure am. But no puter here.

Nick

What the heck..... ok

Email me at gjarrett@juno.com. We'll discuss and I'll give you my address.

I have a SOHC. If you send yours over to me before using it as a blender attachment, will it work on my application too? Call Tornado and tell 'em you just bought a '99 SOHC and make sure they say you (I) can put it on and use the same one on the new truck too.

I purchased and installed a Tornado on my 95 shortly after getting the Explorer new. Never did see any improvement in performance or fuel economy. In fact, it's still in there. I had forgotten about until reading this post. Now I may have to pull it out to see what happens. :rolleyes:

Haha me too. Im gunna pull it prolly today...

Nick

Back