Torque App Q&A | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Torque App Q&A

Triton8273

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Since we have had a few discussions about code readers recently I figured it was time to start a thread specifically for the Torque App since it is a very new product and there are so many things it can do that their website does not describe.

So ask your questions, share your experiences, and anything else to help others learn about this awesome phone app.

Quick overview video

Bluetooth Adapter
6DcOdSMpsJppEAACWXafi__pi_VuDYMtFnqrBh7KTvMFzVSLrA.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got it a few months ago and love it! It gives you much more info than the factory gages. Is there a way to get oil pressure or oil temp?

I got it a few months ago and love it! It gives you much more info than the factory gages. Is there a way to get oil pressure or oil temp?

I could be mistaken but I don't believe the 4.0 has an oil temp sensor, though I am pretty sure the 4.6 does.

As for oil pressure, not sure if that sensor is tied into the CAN bus or not...if it is, I doubt it is a sensor that would give you PSI...I think it pretty much tells you if the pressure is normal or low. I could be way off on that though...would love it if someone like James Henson could chime in.

the app isnt on iphone is it?

The Torque App itself is not available for iphones but they do have their own version.

But of course its for an ipone so the app costs $50 on it's own :D one more reason why I am proud to not own anything by apple.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.palmerperformance.DashCommand&hl=en

Also you cannot use the same bluetooth adapter, you need to find one that uses wifi.

thanks for the info. 49.95 is a steep price, plus the adapter. Figured for the price of torque it was worth a shot.

thanks for the info. 49.95 is a steep price, plus the adapter. Figured for the price of torque it was worth a shot.

Well if you think about it...If you sell you i"so awesome"phone, buy an android phone plus the adapter and app you'll make money :D

Well if you think about it...If you sell you i"so awesome"phone, buy an android phone plus the adapter and app you'll make money :D

hahahahaha well when you put it that way....I wouldnt be able to anyway, I already had a blackberry with my last upgrade and sold it and used my moms upgrade to get the iphone lol.

Ronin was correct, we don't have an oil temp sensor but it does read the transmission temp.

Now I have a use for that old Droid that's been taking up space on my nightstand. I just ordered my bluetooth reader today, and I will let yall know what I think of the whole setup.

Just bought this setup a couple weeks ago and love it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004B0C1NE/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Heard some bad things about the less expensive bluetooth so went for the one on Amazon, though it was on sale at the time for about $80. Has a six foot cord and an on/off switch, though not terrible convenient location for the switch.

Downloaded the Torque app ($4.95) and it works great. Mainly wanted it for trans temp.

Can use it in the Explorer, Expedition and Lincoln.

Be sure to unplug the bluetooth (or shut off the switch) when not using as it will run down the battery.

Just bought this setup a couple weeks ago and love it.

Heard some bad things about the less expensive bluetooth so went for the one on Amazon, though it was on sale at the time for about $80. Has a six foot cord and an on/off switch, though not terrible convenient location for the switch.

Downloaded the Torque app ($4.95) and it works great. Mainly wanted it for trans temp.

Can use it in the Explorer, Expedition and Lincoln.

Be sure to unplug the bluetooth (or shut off the switch) when not using as it will run down the battery.

Glad to see you like it. Thankfully I didn't find out the hard way about leaving the bluetooth adapter plugged in but it would be cool if someone made one with a switch on it so we could leave it in.

You can use it in almost every US and foreign vehicle 1996 and newer.

Got the app a few weeks ago. I like it a lot maybe too much, always looking at it while driving. Especially like trans temp. Are you supposed to unplug bluetooth when done every time? What if I don't?

As "D Hook" stated above...if left in long enough it could possibly drain the battery, and It would be nice if they made an adapter with a switch to cut the power so the adapter itself can be turned off and left plugged in.

Triton8273 said:
As "D Hook" stated above...if left in long enough it could possibly drain the battery, and It would be nice if they made an adapter with a switch to cut the power so the adapter itself can be turned off and left plugged in.

Oh, you mean the battery on the car. I thought you meant on the phone. I didn't think it drew power from the battery just sitting there. Lol. Well that sucks

Oh, you mean the battery on the car. I thought you meant on the phone. I didn't think it drew power from the battery just sitting there. Lol. Well that sucks

Now that I look back on it...I do think he meant the battery on the phone lol.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The adapter I bought has a 6' cord you plug into the car port and then has a switch on the box that's on the other end of the cord.

According to what I read, if you don't turn off the switch on the box (or unplug it from the port) it will run down the battery on the vehicle. The switch is a little unfriendly to easily use....takes some getting used to.

So yes, unplug when not in use.

Won't effect the phone battery.

And you're right, you can get pretty distracted while driving by watching the gauges all the time on your phone. And it will shorten the battery life of your phone running the app too much. But if you have a phone charger hooked up to the phone you'll be okay.

Back