Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid Inductive Signature Malfuntion | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid Inductive Signature Malfuntion

Scrap Iron

Reaction score
City, State
Cincinnati, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 sport
Okay, I'm an idiot!!!
I posted the wrong code on my previous thread. The code was P1740, which translates to TCC Solenoid Inductive Signature Malfunction. Does anyone know "inductive signature malfunction" refers to? Will replacing the TCC solenoid solve the problem?
Thanks,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is a guess, but when current is applied to a circuit, there will be a voltage pattern as the circuit (or coil) energizes. Let's assume THAT is the signature. If the circuit is impaired - shorted, drawing too big a load due to something stuck, etc, that "signature" would likely be different. I'm guessing you either have a wiring issue (low probability) a connector issue (medium probability) a binding or stuck in bore problem (medium high) or a bad TCC solenoid (high). Mind you, this is JUST a guess. But it's a start.

Torque Converter Clutch.......

thanks for the advice. that's really a huge help.

Another guess. Many solenoids are now driven by Pulse Width Modulation. This allows inductive current limiting. The old way of checking the coils was to do a resistive check. In the past, if a coil had a couple shorted turns in the coil, the resistance would drop a couple percent and it would probably still function. In newer circuits with PWM, just a single shorted turn in the coil makes it operate like a shorted transformer and loose all functionality. The pressure regulator is definitely PWM to allow pressure modulation. Wouldn't have thought that this was needed for a TCC which in the past has been just on or off, but maybe they do it now to soften clutch engagement.

Back