Torque converter fitting/allignment 5R55E | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Torque converter fitting/allignment 5R55E

Gannz

Reaction score
I'm replacing my tranny and the Torque Converter doesn't seem to fit right. I slide it on to the pump, twist and wiggle a bit and it drops into the notches and spins freely. The shaft that goes into the FlyWheel sticks out about 1/4" past the Bell Housing... right about where the shaft widens. Sound good so far? Is that about where it's supposed to be or should it be completely inset with no protrusion past the BH?

The first time I installed the tranny, the TC fell out as I was wrestling to get everything into position. I put it back on but I was up under the car and, in hindsight, it probably wasn't seated properly. I managed to get the tranny completely on but had to use the bolts to draw it to the engine. Seemed really tight but it fit. The TC mated with the FW just fine but didn't seem like it went in far enough which left the BH too far from the engine. After I torqued the BH bolts I went to turn the FW at the pulley so I could attach the TC/FW nuts but the FW wouldn't budge. I dropped the tranny and found that the TC wouldn't turn. I was able to pry it off without too much persuasion and didn't find any signs of damage.

Round 2: I built a TC holding tool and lifted everything into place. Removed the holding tool, slid the TC onto the FW and partially secured the bottom two bolts. It fit but the BH seemed even further than it did the last time and it wouldn't push on any tighter... couldn't even get the pins to mate. Checked the FW and it turned but not as easily as it should. I assume this is because the tranny is not completely level and secure so the FW is supporting a lot of the tranny weight making it harder to turn. I used some longer bolts to draw the BH to the engine. It worked but it wasn't easy. Jacked up the back of the tranny to get it kind of level with the engine (take any load off of the TC shaft) and tried to turn the FW... wouldn't budge with normal force. I could get it to turn a bit but had to use a lot of force and didn't want to tear anything up.

Dropped the tranny again and noticed that the TC shaft is only protruding about 1/8" from the BH (was 1/4" when I first slid the TC into the pump). The TC does turn freely (last time I pulled it off it wouldn't turn at all) but it's also stuck to the pump (would need a little prying to release it from the pump seal). Is this normal or should it pull off by hand with a little nudge and wiggle? When I initially pulled the old tranny I don't recall having to pry the TC from the pump. I just wiggled a bit and it came right off. Am I not getting the TC seated properly before attempting the install? Should the TC mash a bit onto the pump as you draw the BH into the engine block? Should I have to draw the BH to the engine or should it pretty much slide on freely by itself?

Edit: I've got it ready to bolt on again. Lined it up and slid the TC onto the FW w/ no problems... just like the last two times. I have it more level w/ the block this time but I still have a 5/8" - 3/4" gap between the BH and block. I'm also still an 1/8" away from the alignment pins... just about like the last two times. The only real difference this time is that the tranny is more level with the block. I can draw it in with the bolts but that's going to mash the TC into the pump seal. Is this normal or should the TC be set deeper into the BH before I slide it onto the FW?

Back