• Register Today It's free!

Torque Converter Noise? I think.

jster91

Reaction score
City, State
Lititz, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLT Sport
I've replaced my 4.0L in my 2004 Explorer and now I'm hearing a noise from the torque converter area that sounds almost like a exhaust shield rattle. But, it's only noticable around 2200 rpms or so. It goes away at higher rpms and also below 2200. If I put it in neutral and rev the engine to 2200, it won't make any noise, so I'm sure it tranny related. Is it possible that my fluid is low and causing the noise? Or did I not bleed the oil cooler correctly? I filled the torque converter with a quart of ATF before sliding it back on the tranny. Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Jeff

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the rattle you describe-and it indeed turned out to be a rattling catalytic converter-

hop under there and hit them with your hand and see if you get a rattle. Mine was the one right under the transmission

A small screw had fallen in there--:D The exhaust tube faces straight up when the manifold is off, and it can easily catch things which are dropped.

And if it's not a vibration issue? Any other things to check? Flex plate? Metal gasket that has the starter cutout?

Did you ever discover the source of your noise? My '03 is making a similar sound under similar conditions (rpm range; only when in gear, etc).

Had my catalytic converter replaced today and my rattle is gone.

Did you get it fixed? Mine is doing the same thing and I cant figure it out

There is a heat shield on the cat that breaks its weld, I just ripped the shield off. just dont park on tall dry grass after a run- rattle fixed!
Get under the car and tap the shields with a screw driver- you will soon find the rattle.

I have brand new cats. rattled before and after I put them on.

Back