Torque converter noise?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Torque converter noise??

n3hcp

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 XST
Gentlemen...I have an 03 4.6L Explorer with a strange noise. It has, as best as I can describe it, a rattle that seems to be coming from the torque converter area. The noise occurs at idle and while accelerating until the TC locks up, at which point it stops completely. My mechanical experience is limited to some minor engine work so tranny and drive train problems are out of my league. I would like to get the opinion of the many experts here gathered before I take it to the dealership.

Thanks!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum!

Does it make any noise in park?
Yes...same "rattle" noise. In fact, I first noticed it in park. At that time I was attributing it to something loose in the exhaust system. The sudden realization that the noise completely disappears when the torque converter locks up made me reconsider that hypothesis.
Do you have 4 wheel drive?
Yes

Does it make the same sound in 4 high or 4 low?
Didn't check that specifically, but I'm going to say yes. I think if it had not, I would have noticed, but I will check at the next opportunity.

Took it out for a test drive today and I can now verify that the noise occors in both 4X4 ans 2X4 modes. I also took it to the steepest grade in the area to check for any "slippage" ...none noted. Operation seems normal...except for the noise:( .

Edited to add...I dropped of the vehicle at the Ford service center this evening...I'll post when I get a diagnosis.

OK after being at one of the most reputable Ford dealers in the area I have a $160.00 bill and still no answers. They have no idea what the noise is. They do acknowledge a noise exists, but can't tell we what it is. They did say "it might be normal". Give me a break! They know what's normal and what's not. Anytime a dealer say "it MIGHT be normal" I know two things. First...it's NOT normal. Second...they haven't got a clue what it is.

I know when to cut my losses. I've only had the Explorer for 6 weeks and I do like it, but it's time to cut and run. The dealer I bought it from is willing to give me almost all that I paid for it against another vehicle. So long Explorer, I wish I could say it's been fun, but...

I have had that sound, or what I'm assuming it is at this point, for over 3 years now and the truck seems to run tip-top. Albeit, dumping the exhaust under the rear seat is one heck of an annoyance :wtf: I will be taking down to a friend of a friend tomorrow to look at it, I will keep it posted I i get it figured out. Hopefully I catch you before you got rid of your rig.

Back