• Register Today It's free!

Torque Converter or what"?

Mike_F

Reaction score
City, State
South Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Limited
2000 Explorer 5.0 V8 150,000 miles- When accelerating around 45 mph or so I sometimes (after car is warm) get a fairly noticeable/bucking shuddering. This is not he vibration I've seen described when people are talking about the torque converter. It feels like a miss, hesitation or temporary loss of power. Once over 50 mph there is no issue. Turning off OD seems to prevent it. The other day, while accelerating and at a much lower speed (20?) it sounded like a backfire from the engine - 3 pops. It has done that only once. The code reader shows only an evap leak and has for years. Once it showed a misfire on the #2 cylinder but I accidently cleared it before I took it to the mechanic and he couldn't reproduce it. I was convinced it was the TC but this back firing and the fact that the shudder (or whatever it is) is far more than a vibration has me second guessing. I did try some of the viscosity additive but it didn't help. Any ideas? I don't know why I keep buying Explorers. I went through 3 trannys between the previous 2.

Have you tried changing the fluid?

Mine had very similar symptoms before changing the old fluid.

My transmission guy said change the fluid. it's known as "shutter" "shudder".

Feels like you’re driving over loud rumble strips and/or the engine is misfiring. New fluid cleared mine right up.

Back