• Register Today It's free!

Torque Converter questions???

rickvo

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester,NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT
Is a A4LD converter the same as a 5R55E??

First of all I have a 1998 Ex with the 5R55E and I have the dreaded PO741 code that comes and goes. I tried the TCC solenoid replacement to no avail. Code came back and I have the torque converter rattle when stopped at idle in any gear. Rattle goes away in park or neutral. The Trans shifts great into all gears but I have no converter lockup ..that is when the OD light is flashing, it come and goes.

Anyway.. I am thinking I should R&R the converter ASAP. What do you think?
Questions....
1. Is a A4LD converter the same as a 5R55E?? when I look the the converter up at Advance Auto and at the Auto Zone by application it says the converter is for a A4LD trans. I called them but The guy on the phone doen't know anything about it so I need help here.

2. Is it ok to buy a converter from the local parts store?

3. Should I be replacing anything else like the trans pump seal..(it dont leak a drop now) or maybe a bushing? Of course new oil and filter is a must.

Thanks for your time!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have never heard of an A4LD4.

The A4LD used a different convertor than the 5R55E.

In a place as large as you live in, go to the yellow pages and find a transmission parts house. Buy your convertor there.

How many miles on your trans ?

Opps sorry.. I meant A4LD, I just thought it was odd that both places I looked on the internet by application, they both listed converters for a A4LD (even though they ask in the dropdowns if I have a 5R55E). Thats why I ask if they are the same. I guess I,ll do like you say and go to a trans parts house.
The trans has 120000 on it, but it shifts perfect, just no TCC lockup. When I had the pan off to change the TCC solenoid, except for the normal film you always have, it was clean. The oil was a little darker than it had been before the TCC issue. but no chunks.

5R55E Torque Converter update

UPDATE... I talked to a friend of a friend who rebuilds these things all day long. He told me that as long as I have the Trans out and the thing has 120000 on it that I should not just put a converter on it.
He said I really should at least open it up and take a look at what I have going on, too much effort to pull it out ...
He wants me to bring it over and he will check the whole thing over put in a master rebuild kit and a rebuilt converter. He quoted me $750.00 to do this including the parts.. I am removing and installing the trans myself.
I checked the price of a converter is about $250-$300 and the master rebuild kit is somewhere around $200-$250.
I plan on keeping this EX for a while as it is Mint body wise, leather and loaded.
So I am thinking go for it what do you think? :thumbsup:

I can get you the convertor AND a master rebuild kit for under $250. Those prices are high. PM me and I can steer you to less expensive parts.

That is good advice by the way.

Now we are talking. I was wondering about doing this myself... I have done some C4's & C6's years ago. I have a Ford Service CD and can get my hands on a Ford Manual, plus all of the mayerial on this site I am sure I can do it. Does a master kit come with all of the bearings and bushings too?
I also have a core 5R55e that came out of a 1999 EX 4.0 OHV. So I can keep driving this thing I would like to rebuild that one and put it in the 1998 EX 4.0 SOHC. Will that work? All the elect plugs look the same but I hear the converter would be different, however I would replace that anyway. what do you think?

I'm sure you could manage the rebuild. Master kits vary in content depending on who is selling them. As a rule they will contain soft parts (gaskets, seals, etc) and frictions. Some include a band, others add a bushing or two. Usually in the case of the 5R you will end up needing to buy some extra parts in addition to the kit. My source of supply is in CA and their pricing for a pretty complete kit is about $125.

I strongly believe in replacing certain parts in an A4 or 5R as a matter of course - sprags and front planetary at least. The A4LD Rebuild Diary is a kissing cousin to what a 5R Diary would look like. I have a few 5R's but I am using their guts to make frankentrannies.

1999 in the 1998

What about this.. I have a 5R55e that came out of a 1999 EX 4.0 OHV. So I can keep driving this thing I would like to rebuild that one and put it in the 1998 EX 4.0 SOHC. Will that work? All the elect plugs look the same but I hear the converter would be different, Is that correct??
however I would replace that anyway. what do you think?

Your plan is a good one in my opinion. As to the TC I cannot speak to that with any knowledge but assume they might be different, quite different output curves for HP and torque for the OHV and SOHC, which would suggest different convertors.

On the A4LD, there were 2 converters. The 3.0L, and 4.0L have different stall speeds. There is a rebuilder in Queens, NY that sells them for about $50. His local distributor in Brooklyn, NY sells them for $75. There is a $25 mark up, but they have to make something on them. It takes time to drive there, and gasoline is high now a days, so $25 extra isn't terrible.

Looking for parts

Glacier991 said:
I can get you the convertor AND a master rebuild kit for under $250. Those prices are high. PM me and I can steer you to less expensive parts.

When I see you on next time I'll PM you and get this info.. I am hoping these guys will know which converter I need (4.0 SOHC) as this trans is still in the truck and I cant get and Numbers off of it..

Rickvo, did you ever pinpoint the reason for the TCC not locking up. I have a similar problem where the TCC solenoid is not getting its voltage. Any feedback welcome

hi Brooklyn Bay.
Please have a look in this thread.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=394158
I am trying to get info on how the computer knows when to send the 12volt output to the TCC solenoid. I feel an input is faulty and the fault is power related.
This is at speeds above 50mph, when the trans moves from 4th to 5th. If steady power is applied, no voltage will show up on the TCC solenoid. If light power, or even a slight negative power is applied, then the voltage shows up at the solenoid.

Please continue on the other thread as this is Ricks

Thanks in advance. I used this Forum, and the ford-trucks forum, to fix a TCC Solenoid in a 1998 Ford Explorer. Adding some part numbers here in case it helps folks when they search these parts on Google etc, or searches on these forums.

Symptoms were: Stalling when coming to a stop, TCC staying locked in and shudder/stall at a stop sign. 1st first gear would override the issue, so coming to a stop sign and downshifting kept it running,.

My fix was a 1998 Ford Explorer SOHC V6 4wd 5spd auto. Part numbers from Phil Long Ford, Colorado Springs, CO.

TCC Solenoid, Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid:
XL2Z-7G136-AA

Cost $100 from the dealer.

The valve body gaskets follow. Two of them, between the separator plate. I did not use mine, but listing the numbers here if it helps:

2L5Z 7D100 BA
2L5Z 7C155 AA

Those gaskets are $20 each, but dealer is $6.50

It was worth the effort. 300 miles on the fix now. Our tranny has 235K on it and once this solenoid was replaced (closest to the FRONT of the vehicle) it was fine. I had to disconnect the front diff side of the front driveshaft, and move it, and a lot of bolts off the valve body. Just do it- worth the fix.

Thanks everyone for posting, It sure helped us.
Jon.

Back