Torque converter rattling/whining sound?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Torque converter rattling/whining sound??

BlueX

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer xlt 4x4
Since I've had this '02 explorer (about a year now) it's been making a rattling noise. Checked the heat shields and none seem loose. Thought it could have been the idler arm or something so I replaced the idler arm, alternator, idler pulley and serpentine belt...still rattles.

The rattling occurs at idle randomly, but without fail always rattles right around 2200rpm and above. Something I thought was mind blowing however was that once winter rolled around, instead of rattling the noise would be a whining sound after the truck had sat over night in 30 degree or below temps. After the truck warmed up however, the noise would return back to a rattle!!?? I read somewhere that this could possibly be due to a failing torque converter. Any ideas of what it could be?

P.S.~ I took the truck to the Ford dealership and they said I had to replace my front upper ball joints (which I've done since) and replace my rear hub assembly before they could diagnose the sound. What kind of BS is that!!

Thanks for any input!

Since I've had this '02 explorer (about a year now) it's been making a rattling noise. Checked the heat shields and none seem loose. Thought it could have been the idler arm or something so I replaced the idler arm, alternator, idler pulley and serpentine belt...still rattles.

The rattling occurs at idle randomly, but without fail always rattles right around 2200rpm and above. Something I thought was mind blowing however was that once winter rolled around, instead of rattling the noise would be a whining sound after the truck had sat over night in 30 degree or below temps. After the truck warmed up however, the noise would return back to a rattle!!?? I read somewhere that this could possibly be due to a failing torque converter. Any ideas of what it could be?

P.S.~ I took the truck to the Ford dealership and they said I had to replace my front upper ball joints (which I've done since) and replace my rear hub assembly before they could diagnose the sound. What kind of BS is that!!

Thanks for any input!

Whenever I hear the word "rattle" associated with these Explorers, I typically think of timing chain rattle. As far as the whining, I'm not sure.

I know I had a slight timing chain rattle at about the RPM range you specified, and occasionally at idle. Decided to check the oil, and it was completely black. Changed the oil with a full synthetic, used a Motorcraft oil filter, no more rattle.

Whenever I hear the word "rattle" associated with these Explorers, I typically think of timing chain rattle. As far as the whining, I'm not sure.

I know I had a slight timing chain rattle at about the RPM range you specified, and occasionally at idle. Decided to check the oil, and it was completely black. Changed the oil with a full synthetic, used a Motorcraft oil filter, no more rattle.

I thought of a timing chaing rattle at first too, but after I noticed the "rattle" became a "whine" when the truck was really cold I kind of ruled that out. I do frequent oil changes with "high mileage" GTX, but no difference.

Back