• Register Today It's free!

Torque converter swap question

muscleclone

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Limited 4.6
I am in the process of swapping out the torque converter on my 2003 4.6 4x4.
My question is, do I have to separate the transmission from the transfer case in order to swap the converter?
It doesn't look like that I need to because I think I can lower both as one unit without problem, but just wanted to make sure that is OK to get the new torque converter in with no problem.

Thanks
Kevin

I am in the process of swapping out the torque converter on my 2003 4.6 4x4.
My question is, do I have to separate the transmission from the transfer case in order to swap the converter?
It doesn't look like that I need to because I think I can lower both as one unit without problem, but just wanted to make sure that is OK to get the new torque converter in with no problem.

Thanks
Kevin

I'd say it's certainly possible, the kink being the cross-member-like bracket going from frame siderail to frame siderail, holding up the gas tank: The rear driveshaft flange and u-joints are real close to that bracket, There's enough room to move the T-case back far enough to clear it's input shaft off the spline, then lower it. I did that when I rebuilt the T-case. The whole works at once, well, unless you have a real good grasp on the transmission, the lop-sided T-case puts a nasty "twist" on the combination. I'm not a trtansmission man, so just sayin' what I recall. JK080 could tell ya in a snap.

In any event, you have to lower the trans. down pretty far, if not to the ground, to mess with the converter easily. imp

I'd say it's certainly possible, the kink being the cross-member-like bracket going from frame siderail to frame siderail, holding up the gas tank: The rear driveshaft flange and u-joints are real close to that bracket, There's enough room to move the T-case back far enough to clear it's input shaft off the spline, then lower it. I did that when I rebuilt the T-case. The whole works at once, well, unless you have a real good grasp on the transmission, the lop-sided T-case puts a nasty "twist" on the combination. I'm not a trtansmission man, so just sayin' what I recall. JK080 could tell ya in a snap.

In any event, you have to lower the trans. down pretty far, if not to the ground, to mess with the converter easily. imp

Imp,

Thank You for the quick response. So it probably easier that I should drop transfer case first, then deal with the tranny separately.

Imp,

Thank You for the quick response. So it probably easier that I should drop transfer case first, then deal with the tranny separately.

I would. I'm no expert, but learned the hard way from making mistakes. Take a look under there at that big gas tank bracket. Definitely, I'd avoid messing with it, and the tank, if possible! imp

Back