Torque converter to flywheel/flexplate bolt alignment | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Torque converter to flywheel/flexplate bolt alignment

Xylene

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT V8
I just rebuilt my 302 5.0l engine and have a question about the torque converter to flywheel/flexplate (I can't remember which one is which for an automatic) bolts. Does it matter what bolt goes where? There are 4 of them, I marked the bolt to the flywheel before removing it, but didn't check when I reinstalled. Will this lead to isssues?

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

fastpakr

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Roanoke, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 4wd - 5.0/4R70W/BW4406
No worries.

<

C420sailor

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT SOHC, 99 EB 5.0L
They aren’t balanced as a unit.

It was advised to me to use new nuts with a dab of blue loctite. Not sure if it is necessary, but I haven’t lost one yet

<

Xylene

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT V8
They aren’t balanced as a unit.

It was advised to me to use new nuts with a dab of blue loctite. Not sure if it is necessary, but I haven’t lost one yet
I have been on the hunt for new flanged nuts grade 8 (it looks like what was on it) but I haven't been able to find any

<

fastpakr

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Roanoke, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
I bought a set on eBay as i recall.

<

C420sailor

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT SOHC, 99 EB 5.0L

I believe this is correct, double check. I used Mr Gasket ones on my 5R55E but I don’t know if they’re compatible with the 4R70W—these should be

The nuts on my 5R55E are metal locking nuts, and I think these are too. They look very similar to normal flange nuts, but they are special

<

donalds

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 ford explorer sohc
This is where I find stuff like this McMaster-Carr <<catalog
Nuts>> unless you have a part number Then buy that

<

C420sailor

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT SOHC, 99 EB 5.0L
I love McMaster Carr, just wish they had smaller sizes. When I need 4 nuts and they sell batches of 100 lol

<

donalds

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 ford explorer sohc
I love McMaster Carr, just wish they had smaller sizes. When I need 4 nuts and they sell batches of 100 lol
Yep fastest delivery period
Lol if you can't find what your looking for in their catalog then look again lol

I don't mind the extra
Needles to say I have collected a bit of hardware over the years
All stored in Christmas cookies tin containers

<

fastpakr

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Roanoke, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
The Mr Gasket p/n should be 6717. 3/8-24 flange nuts.

<

Turdle

Lowrider
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty
Look closely at the factory nuts. They are kinda "smashed" looking, the threaded hole is slightly ovaled to stake the nut in place once torqued to spec. Reuse em if they arent rounded off.

<

Xylene

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT V8
Look closely at the factory nuts. They are kinda "smashed" looking, the threaded hole is slightly ovaled to stake the nut in place once torqued to spec. Reuse em if they arent rounded off.
I was able to reuse 3 of the 4. I wasn't able to find an exact replacement for the 4th so I ended up buying a self lock flange nut from Ace Hardware. If this isn't a good idea I can order a set online (no local stores carry them). I was trying to finish up my project this week, but if I need new bolts I can wait for them to come in the mail. I would rather do it right, then have to deal with it later.

<