Solved - Torque converter wont seat all the way | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Torque converter wont seat all the way

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

muslake

Reaction score
City, State
chatham, ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ford explorer limted
I have a 2002 Ford Explorer Limited 4x4 with a SOHC V8 4.6L. Well during an engine rebuild due to a spun bearing it came time to bolt the Torque converter up to the tranny.

Well shes all lined up and no where to go! I feel clunk..wheres the second clunk? wiggle it, turn it clockwise counter clockwise and it will not go in that extra inch!!!! For days i tried to manipulate that thing just to feel that god forsaken second clunk to no avail. I searched forums and found some that said remove the bell housing check for out of place splines. Problem is this tranny doesn't have a bell housing so i was perplexed...but never fear same logic applied!:eek:

You do not have to remove anything not even the pump housing(which im not sure comes off anyways). What i did was wrapped a set of pliers in a soft cloth and just tapped the shaft lo and behold what falls out??? THE INNER SPLINE!! ;) pushed the darn thing in with my thumb and then the torque converter klunked twice!!!

So in short dont fret its probably not a seal a bolt or bent hub...chances are you pulled out the spline by taking off the converter a little too rough. I am making this thread for everyone who is frothing at the mouth cursing their poor baby. :D

Thanks for the tip. I had a similar problem with my Mopar transmission. Turned out that the front pump gear was not lined up properly. I had to remove the front pump, then properly "index" the gear to the hub on the torque converter.

I moved your thread into our Transmission forum.

Back