• Register Today It's free!

torque converter

Harokane

Reaction score
City, State
Shreveport, Lousiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer Sport
I’ve just recently rebuilt my transmission and I’m in the process of putting it in and I was wondering if the torque converter needs to be filled with fluid before the transmission goes back in.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It wouldn't hurt - just as long as its not pouring on your face during install ;)

thats what i thought, it is new out of the box and i now i have the transmission back in there and all hooked up and when i start it up and put it in drive the truck doesnt go any where the tires start to move when the truck is reved up to 4500 rpm but they are hardly moving and i cant figure it out

? did you use a new/rebuilt converter ?

I learned the hard way to not use the old converter. relatively inexpensive if you do it right the first time. pulling the tranny again to replace a used converter is not my idea of fun.

J...still learning in my retirement years :p:

it's a new one but i think the pump isnt working cause theres no fluid coming through the cooler lines

Did you rebuild the pump? If you didn't then it may be fubar'd and require a rebuild. I also remember hearing that it is a good idea to HALF fill the torque converter before install to keep the pump from working so hard to fill it with fluid. Also if you did rebuild the pump and didn't align the gears, then you are also screwed.

How much fluid did you put in?

the pump was bad the inside gear was shattered so im going to order a new one tonight

got the front pump done the transmission is back in but it won't shift out of 1st gear and i adjusted the bands but no difference

Did you replace or rebuild the valve body? Did you replace the servos too?

Back