• Register Today It's free!

Torque converter?

bernieBUBU10

Reaction score
City, State
Kealakekua, Hi
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Ford Explorer
Aloha, my name is Roxanne. I own a 2009 Ford Explorer. Last month my wrench icon light came on. It wasn't on all the time, it would turn off and on. Anyways on a ride my trans started leaking fluid, I immediately pulled over and had the vehicle towed home. I took it to a local repair shop which specialized in transmission repair. They changed the gaskets, seal and pump. Replaced fluid. Upon the drive home the icon came on again. Dissapointed I returned the vehicle to the shop the next day. The icon was not on at the time do they could not diagnose. He proceeded to drop the pan cleaned out the pan of normal sludge replaced the magnet and all was well, suggested bringing the vehicle back when the light was on. Upon leaving the shop once yet again here's that wrench light. I immediately turned around and returned to shop. They could not diagnose the problem on the code reader. Nothing came up. Next day the car went back. The mechanic drove it to try and replicate the concern. Apparently he was able to get a code which was for a yaw rate sensor. He recommended we take it to the dealer. We made an appt.
Ford could not diagnose, they also test drive and was unable to replicate the concern. but charged us the diagnostic fee. Recommend us to return when the wrench light came on. Which I did within an hour of taking the vehicle off the lot. They pulled codes charged us yet again and handed me the paper work and said take it back to the other company for repair. Ampco the other company is saying he can change the torque converter but the problem might come back he'd rather do a rebuilt.
Wth I'm so upset being tossed back and forth, feels like I'm being ripped off and the problem still not solved and may or may not still after all this expenses.

Welcome to the forum.

The Ford dealer is full of BS, even if the light is not on, the code was stored.
And unless they are using some hand held code reader from Auto Zone, they should be able to retrieve it. Any other dealership out there ?

Also, the tranny shop should have some more advance readers for transmission codes.

What engine do you have ?

Back