torque monster header not running right | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

torque monster header not running right

cashmoney37

Reaction score
City, State
South Bend, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 mountaineer
:mad: ok i spent all weekend installing these torque monster headers. they made me a custom drivers side header to clear my steeing shaft for the body lift.
problem #1. passenger header is hiting the shock tower. any body else experience this problem?

Problem #2. the truck is now runing like **** and keep back firing.
any body have a clue what is going on? i checked everything over and have no clue. the truck ran fine befor the headers. i checked my plug wires, they are in the correct order. its runing horrible

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1. The passenger side of mine hits the shock tower..been like that for a few years...no harm

2. Double check everything....may have missed something stupied.

check your firing order again, the Explorer is not the same as the other 5.0L cars/trucks

Check your plug wires to make sure they are seated and not getting burned or arching

I suspect the firing order first :)

check your firing order again, the Explorer is not the same as the other 5.0L cars/trucks

Check your plug wires to make sure they are seated and not getting burned or arching

I suspect the firing order first :)

I don't remember who created this jpg, but I have a copy of it on my hard drive and a copy printed out which sits in my glovebox. VERY handy resource.

5_0_Firing_Order.jpg

My guess is a plug wire may be torched. These headers have a way of trashing wires and vaccuum lines if not carefully routed and protected from the heat the headers throw off (been there, done that).

1. The passenger side of mine hits the shock tower..been like that for a few years...no harm
I'm not sure its okay for headers to bind up against a chassis part - remember that the engine torques/leans over when accelerating.
Posted via Mobile Device

I would check for a worn motor mount, as, because of the "clockwise" torque the pasenger side mount is the one which smashes down.

I suspect a firing order issue also. There is no way a header can make an engine run worse. No way. It has to be something you missed.

My TMH are a little bigger (than the normal ones) as they are designed for a blown application, that is why Bob thinks they touch, but they have been on my Mountaineer for a few years now and it hasn't been a problem.

Mine hit the passenger tower as well. I just dimpled it. No more problem.

I don't remember who created this jpg, but I have a copy of it on my hard drive and a copy printed out which sits in my glovebox. VERY handy resource.

5_0_Firing_Order.jpg

My guess is a plug wire may be torched. These headers have a way of trashing wires and vaccuum lines if not carefully routed and protected from the heat the headers throw off (been there, done that).

That's my handy work! :cool: Now I'm all tingly inside. :p:

That's my handy work! :cool: Now I'm all tingly inside. :p:

Good stuff man. I've used it often. I even gave a copy of it to my exhaust guy who changed out that leaky gasket that was causing me grief a few months back. If a .jpg deserves a sticky, this is one. :thumbsup:

Back