• Register Today It's free!

Torque monster headers horsepower

mrjody

Reaction score
City, State
como
Year, Model & Trim Level
98/00 xlt rangers
Anyone in here got 380-400 REAR wheel power with a set of torque monster headers NA?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think anyone on here has made it close to there without major power adders. 300 whp is about where the n/a trucks make it to without boost.

Just trying to figure out if these headers will support 425ish flywheel hp or is 300ish about max

They are the best bolt in option. Run 2.5" back from them and I think it will handle it as long as you don't run crazy heads that they won't work with. Some have experienced clearance issues with some aluminum heads and the big corners on them.

There aren't a bunch of proven big power SBF Explorers, dyno results etc. The one I think of the most is 342rwhp, with a 347 and Eaton blower, and low compression. That's near the top of forum trucks, and his restrictions are the small 1.5 liter blower(M90), low compression, and the exhaust.

The others are right though, the TM's are the best option to buy, and run at least 2.5" dual exhaust behind that, all the way back.

There is one NA truck here now that is most likely in the 325-350 rwhp range(my guess), but he hasn't track or dyno tested it yet. It's a 363 with TW 205 heads, and custom headers, in a 2WD Sport, 2000 model I think it is.

unless you want to pay crazy money at a fab shop and get a set custom made, tmh are the only way to go, and probably will be the only way to go

Yeah, I'm fixing to put them to the test... See what happens. For right now, Its a bone stock bottom end 2000 explorer 302.. however, the top end is a diffent story. Twisted wedge track heat heads and explorer upper and lower intake, heavy stage 2 port work, Anderaon N412 cam,30lb injectors..ect ect... wondering if dual 3 inch pipes would help over the 2 1/2 inch pipes, probably not much I'm guessing. If it doesnt work..I'll have a custom set of 1 5/8 made.
This combo "should" see somewhere around 330ish.. I have a 331, well the parts to.assemble it if all goes well with this little 302

If you keep it NA, a 2.5" dual system should be fine, the manifolds being the weakest link by far. I'd equate 1 5/8" headers to 2.5" duals, the TMH headers are fine for a 2 1/4" dual exhaust, and if you could go bigger for a huge power, headers would need to be 1 3/4" with a 3" dual system.

The stock exhaust is very unbalanced, hugely restrictive manifolds, okay cat pipes for stock power, and very restrictive rear section(half of a dual 2 1/4" exhaust). You can upgrade the back half with minor difficulty, but the manifolds are a massive problem for anything but a mild 302.

What Track Heat heads do you have? I just last year found an old set of TW 170 Track Heat heads, CNC ported with a 205 program. I think that 363 Sport has similar heads on his too, he's using a TFS R intake manifold.

The old 170's as as well. Picked them up at a steal with a broken valve spring ,($800) otherwise no damage. I already had a set of trick flow springs and Anderson springs I bought for a previous build that I didnt use. I sent the Anderson springs to the porter to be used with the Anderson cam. I've heard a time or two about the trick flow springs breaking for no reason .
I was going to use the n41 cam, but again, this is real daily. No if and or buts about it. Then everyone talked about the custom cam route.. which is ok if you have a stroker or big power motor. Definitely not for a stock 302 or 350 bottom end engine, at least in my opinion. Any off the shelf cam will get you very close to that "custom" cam and sometimes even more.. it's all a talk game.

Attachments

• 20200423_173941.jpg
    20200423_173941.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 127

Back