Torque monster headers leaking collector | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Torque monster headers leaking collector

AWD96spoon

Reaction score
City, State
Ardmore, ok
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996, Explorer AWD
So I installed some torque monsters last weekend and have been battling a leak at the collector on the driver side. I had originlly tightened the flair down on the collector out of square which cause a huge leak. I loosened the bolts and squared it up and tightened the bolts back up and the leak was significantly reduced but still there, I let the system heat up and then tightened them again but it didn' fix it. This weekend I took it to a muffler shop to have a new exhaust run and had him check it out. He said that he pulled it off and nothing was deformed that he could see and he reinstalled it square and had me tighten then bolts again when I got home wen the motor was hot but it' still leaking. My question is, is there any kind of gasket I can put in there to seal this leak or should I go a different route?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

try loosening both sides and retighten them. one side might be making the other out of alignment.

Tried that this afternoon, no luck. It' leakinng right in the middle of the two bolts, not to one side or the other. Would RTV hold you think if I put it on the inside of the flared piece and then tightened it town and let it set up?

Ultra copper might-
It could be the down pipe flange has become oval instead of round. This will happen if one side get tightened down too far.
You might be able to bend it back to a rounder shape with a large channel lock pliers, using a tennis ball as a guide.

Turdle, I can't see any ovalness to it with just my eye, I'll put a tennis ball in it and see if I can tell but off not I'm gonna proba my put ultra copper or RTV on it.

RTV will just burn out, your onloy hope is the high temp copper RTV . Expect that joint to see 1000 degrees.

You will not be able to "see" a deformation that will allow exhaust gasses to leak. Use something round like a ball as a guide, lay it into the downpipe flange and this might make any deformation appear. Then, squeeze the "high" sides with big pliers. I had to do this once with good results. Just a dab will do ya.

Okay, I may take it to a muffler shop and have then flare me a new piece and weld it in there, I just had a new exhaust put on and they replaced everything but the flare and the down pipe even though I asked them to, and when I asked about it when it was done he said nothing was wrong with it. Gonna take it to a different shop now. I don' trust myself to be able to bend it jus enough to fix it and not cause leaks on other spots.

Well I ended up paying to have my new exhaust re made and new flared down pipes. It fixed the leak and sounds great! Thank for the help guys, this site is a life saver.

Back