torque monster install gone bad | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

torque monster install gone bad

So i have run into this a few times in the many broken bolts I've extracted. At this point the best thing you can do is to melt the easy out with a oxy-acetelyne torch. They hardened steel melts faster than the bolt and the block.

Then you need a set of left handed drill bits. keep stepping up until you get to the correct size or just under it for the tap that you need.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for all the info guys.
Xeek, no welding equipment at my disposal. Even if I did, I dont know how to use it. This probably isnt something I should be practicing on.

Tim, Thanks buddy. I don`t know what to say. There`s a lot of time and pain in this already.

To help my bruised ego, I changed my front shocks out to bilsteen gas adjusts, and installed the energy suspensions poly kit. Front end was getting noisy, so this should tighten it up.

one thing i think i will try is this. get in there with a demel and one of the cutting disks. it may take a few of them, but cut a slot into the bolt. i cant remember if joe has a tool that when you hit it with a hammer, it also spins the end as well (like turning a screw driver, and shocking it at the same time). its worth trying. if not, i am sure we can think of something. but yea, load it up on penetrating fluid for now

one thing i think i will try is this. get in there with a demel and one of the cutting disks. it may take a few of them, but cut a slot into the bolt. i cant remember if joe has a tool that when you hit it with a hammer, it also spins the end as well (like turning a screw driver, and shocking it at the same time). its worth trying. if not, i am sure we can think of something. but yea, load it up on penetrating fluid for now

Impact driver.

Impact driver.

hey, thank you very much. i just looked and if buddy doesnt have one, we should be able to pick on up at princess auto

I think we have all come to the conclusion that i need heat, and lots of it.

The trucks going for its first tow ride.

Okay, update.
Exhaust shop did get through prayer even of bolt out. They said it was not an easy one.
Price? $50.00. A steal by my books.

Tim came over and we installed the passenger side. I unbolted the drivers side exhaust tube to make room (i had pulled it against the header to keep things safe in the tow), fluid tank, air box and bracket, and oil fill tube. Headers dropped right in after lifting the motor slightly. We struggled with the egr, and overcame. While doing that we struggled with a few header to block bolts, and overcame.

Then, it came time to bolt exhaust tubes to headers. Wtf?
That passenger top bolt.....It would only go in so far. Talking about tight. Long story short, I'm going to see my exhaust friend tomorrow. Tim's a pretty big guy, and between not getting on the bolt head straight, and How hard it was to turn, we decided a couple more dollars and someone could make short work of it with air tools. This will happen tomorrow.

Good, progress. You will get it done, it's downhill now.

yea, that thing was/is a *****. my arms and shoulders still hurt lol. im spoiled. when i did mine, it was on a lift, and had air tools.

Honestly, I really can't see how any bigger headers could fit in there. The drivers, there's a hope with a smaller steering shaft, and on the passenger side id think you would have to loose the air conditioning.

On the passenger side, there's a tube on either side of the motor mount bolts. I really didn't appreciate how tight it was till yesterday. That passenger side is just that tight.

Thanks again Tim! Sorry for the unplanned exercise.

and you were right.....Check engine light popped up on the way home tonight. Im not even going to bother looking at the codes till tomorrow after that passenger side is tightened up.

That header wrap seems to work really well, Im happy about that. I'd recommend it, although it makes the install that much tighter.

Im Done!

We couldn't get that pipe to manifold bolt in. Hind sight being what it is, I should have chased the header flange bolt holes before installing the headers.

So, plan B, we used a nut and bolt. Perfect!

Also, while under there, we saw the 2 piece header joint on the drivers side was coming loose. I just spent the last hour tightening that one up. Tough to get that one good and tight. I think I have it nice and tight now....So, hopefully this is a done deal.

Now, next project....mounting intercooler, piping, oil lines, pumps, radiator......

Ah, springs in the air (maybe after the snow that's coming this weekend).

Man I missed this thread.lol glade you got them mounted tho.did you seal the header wrap after you wrapped the headers? Idk if you did or not but I soak the wrap in water before I wrap them, keeps the glass down and makes for a tight wrap.;)

Yes, I soaked the wrap first.
I used Heatshield products inferno header wrap. I have to say, its awesome stuff. No worries of torching plug wires with this wrap.
I didn't seal the wrap after, as the instructions on the wrap say not to.

After all this, I have a header tick. Im certain there's a bit of a crack at the collector of the 4 pipes. I don't want to keep pissing with this as its a big job to R&R.

I ordered some new ones, and will deal with these once they are off.
Im going to try to get the extended egr pipe so I can add a 1" phenolic spacer between the upper and lower intake. Im not after more intake volume, or thinking about keeping my upper intake cooler, but what I am after is more room to clear 1.7 roller rockers. Apparently they wont fit under a factory valve cover on our 5.0's.

So, in the future Im' hoping to help out my low lift factory cam with 1.7 rockers. The only way to change cams is to pull the motor. Not going to happen until I need to. If things follow what happened on my last worn out motor, after I start forcing air down its throat, I might just be doing a 5.0 rebuild.

If things follow what happened on my last worn out motor, after I start forcing air down its throat, I might just be doing a 347 rebuild.

there, fixed it for ya :D

hahaha, your always fixing my mistakes.

Back