• Register Today It's free!

Torque Monsters and Intake Spacer

FlyBoyCoe

Reaction score
City, State
Corpus Christi, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Eddie Bauer
So I just got my travel pay from a 6 week trip, and that means it's TMH time, which I purchased today. I've read in MoutaineerGreen's thread that it's best to install a phenolic intake spacer at the same time, and that the Trick Flow kit has all the right bolts and such. (TFS-51520018 at Summit)

A few questions:
Is there any difference between gt-40 and gt-40p heads as far as the spacer is concerned?
Are any special tools required to install either the headers or the spacer?
Any other advice for a novice gear head?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

that's the right spacer to get, there is no difference with the different heads, they play no role with the spacer at all. There aren't really any special tools needs, just a normal tool set with plenty of extensions, wobbles, u-joints, etc. An Impact gun would be nice. And a 1-1/6" wrench will be needed for your egr tube. Did you get a new egr tube from TMH? if not I would suggest you get one, and make sure he knows that your putting a spacer on.

I let Bob at TMH know about egr tube and the spacer, he gave me an almost immediate reply, so I should be okay on that note. Hopefully I can get everything in and start wrenching next weekend.

Also, Techie, did you see any gains from the MSD coil packs you put on? I've been thinking about doing that, but I don't know if it's really necessary.

Looks like you can't run a BBK spacer with the Gt40 heads. Is that true?

This is a mod I'm planing to do one of these years...

Looks like you can't run a BBK spacer with the Gt40 heads. Is that true?

This is a mod I'm planing to do one of these years...

There is a center hole in the spacer for the egr passage. You are good to go.

Does it punch out? Or is this the wrong picture?

bbk-1506.jpg

Does it punch out? Or is this the wrong picture?

bbk-1506.jpg

oops-cheese again-
I didn't read your post well,
You need the trick flow spacer.

That picture is bad, I recall seeing that when hunting for a spacer.

For the GT40 intake you need the intake parts with a hole right in the center, and shaped like that right one pictured.

Also, Techie, did you see any gains from the MSD coil packs you put on? I've been thinking about doing that, but I don't know if it's really necessary.

The idle got a tiny little bit smoother, but I wouldn't spend the money on them again unless I needed new coil packs anyway.

The idle got a tiny little bit smoother, but I wouldn't spend the money on them again unless I needed new coil packs anyway.

Cool, that's what I wanted to know.

Freaking Sears... I go in to get a $20 wrench, and I end up spending $200. There's way too much in that store that I "need".

Right. I was just pointing out that the 40 vs 40-P heads does play a role in which spacer you can use. Although it's really an internal vs external EGR issue. But you get the idea.

Okay, so I hear I need to get some header gaskets, because the TM's come with some crappy paper ones... Any suggestions on brands, or will OEM ones from the local autoparts store work?

fel pro replacements for your year will be great. They are kinda lead coated and smash down to make a good seal.

I think the number is fel-9000

oh
for a little tip--

I use wire cutter to make the 2 outside bolt holes ( on the gasket) into a hook-

then you can start the outer 2 bolts, and slide the gasket in --the hooks will ride on the bolts holding the gasket in place while you start the remaining bolts

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Look what the Summit man brought me today!

DSC02140.jpg

I'm still waiting on the headers to arrive.

Back