• Register Today It's free!

Torque specs

FMZUtjl

Reaction score
City, State
La Grange, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
Anybody know what the proper torque is on the rear drive axle hub nut? Had to replace the left rear bearing and hub flange and the Haynes manual doesn't have the torque value for the hub nut. It's a 2002 Explorer XLT 4WD.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's an image from the 2003 repair manual. It's the same torque value for the 2002 MY Explorers but the pic is better in 2003. Note that you should discard the removed nut.

Torque

Many thanks. I don't know why the Haynes manual listed every other torque value except the most important one.

Take care.

Here's an image from the 2003 repair manual. It's the same torque value for the 2002 MY Explorers but the pic is better in 2003. Note that you should discard the removed nut.

Okay, stupid question: Where can one find a copy of the tech manual you are posting the drawing from there? I need to get something more comprehensive than the 'dime store" ones off the shelf.

EasyRhino

How come I can't send you a PM? The owners of this list have frowned on discussion of the Ford Manuals and the internet. Fix your PM capability and send me a note, or post up an email address and I will try to answer your question.

Okay, I will try to figure out the PM thingee.

I just double checked my stuff and the 02/03 rear spec is definitely 203lb/ft (275nm) and the 4x4 front is shown as 184lb/ft (250nm).

I think you can get them on CD or in Paper. I just bought the books – big one for $150 and another $50 for the Wire Schematics for my model and year. CD is a lot cheaper, I guess I’m a little old fashion I find it easy to flip pages, and I’m a little leery of propping my laptop on the Valve cover . . .or sliding underneath the car with it. Books don’t’ have a problem oil, dust and dirt.

Its labeled 2004 Explorer / Mountaineer. Over 1000 pages, tons of drawings for everything and Diagnostic steps too. I have bought them for all my cars if I plan on owning it for a long time. Well worth it, pictures very helpful. It is written for the tech so some things are assumed.

Back