Torsen question, calling Ranger Rick | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Torsen question, calling Ranger Rick

sonicblue

Reaction score
City, State
MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 FX4 LII
I've got a question about the OEM T2 used in the 2003 Ranger FX4 LII. How much windup is normal with this diff? I have noticed since new that most times when I take off from a light I can feel a windup and shudder in the drivetrain as I start moving. Also I recently changed the fluid, and while I measured the gear backlash to be correct, I can turn the drive shaft considerably past this point in either direction before it stops (tires on the ground, trans in neutral). I can see the ring gear turning during this time but nothing is going to the axle shafts.
A related issue is after the truck is rolling at 30-60MPH, if I repeatedly jab the gas on and off, and I mean quickly jab it, I get a pretty good clunk out of the rear end, just like you'd expect with too much gear backlash, or bad slip splines, but I know that's not the case. It just seems that there is some backlash associated with the Torsen, so I just wonder what is normal.

Darryl

I've got a question about the OEM T2 used in the 2003 Ranger FX4 LII. How much windup is normal with this diff? I have noticed since new that most times when I take off from a light I can feel a windup and shudder in the drivetrain as I start moving. Also I recently changed the fluid, and while I measured the gear backlash to be correct, I can turn the drive shaft considerably past this point in either direction before it stops (tires on the ground, trans in neutral). I can see the ring gear turning during this time but nothing is going to the axle shafts.

That's where I'd start... that's not normal. With the design of those, the gears are in constant mesh... I have got to wonder if there's something busted down in its depths...

A related issue is after the truck is rolling at 30-60MPH, if I repeatedly jab the gas on and off, and I mean quickly jab it, I get a pretty good clunk out of the rear end, just like you'd expect with too much gear backlash, or bad slip splines, but I know that's not the case. It just seems that there is some backlash associated with the Torsen, so I just wonder what is normal.

Darryl

There shouldn't be any backlash in there...

Sorry for the delay - I haven't been on the site just lately. The backlash in a Torsen diff should be pretty much the same as a bevel gear differential. We have to meet the same requirements from Ford. It's not clear to me what you mean by wind-up and shudder, or specifically what conditions they occur in. Care to explain in more detail?

Back