Torsion Bar Question. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Torsion Bar Question.

Reaction score
City, State
Bonita Springs, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT, V6 OHV
Hello, I've read the torsion bar 101 thread on here and it confirmed for me that cranking the bolts on the bars lowers and raises the front of the vehicle but it didn't answer one question. I just got my leafs rearched to add 2" on the left and 1 1/2" on the right. the truck still leans a little to the left on the front though. I took a look at the torsion bars and the driver's side is cranked more that the passenger's. I'm not sure which shop moved them but my mechanic told me tire shops mess with them when they do steering alignments. Is this true? I'd like to loosen the driver's side bolt to the same length of the passenger's and even out the front. I'm not looking for any more lift on the right, just the left to make it level. Sorry for the long post, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

still leans a little to the left on the front
I'd like to loosen the driver's side bolt to the same length of the passenger's and even out the front.

You're backwards. Clockwise to raise, counter clockwise to lower.
The torsion screws will never be adjusted exactly the same distance.
Adjusting the front will affect the opposite rear corner. LF Up = RR Down
Remember, any time you adjust the torsion screws, alignment should be checked. GL

You're backwards. Clockwise to raise, counter clockwise to lower.
The torsion screws will never be adjusted exactly the same distance.
Adjusting the front will affect the opposite rear corner. LF Up = RR Down
Remember, any time you adjust the torsion screws, alignment should be checked. GL

So the more you tighten them the more it lifts? Or the other way around? Sorry I just know the right side screw is lower than the left.

Correct, righty-tighty to lift. Use a short 13mm six point socket and lift the wheels off the ground. Snapped torsion bolts are no fun.

wow i have the same problem on my 95 xl ranger! driver side sits lower than passenger on the front end. i had a feeling it might have had to do with the torsion setting. i go for a wheel alignment next week, will they mess with the torsion to correct this???

it doesn't matter where the bolts are, as one t bar is a bit longer than the other, it matters where the front sits, if it is not even adjust it to even, even if the bolts don't match,

it doesn't matter where the bolts are, as one t bar is a bit longer than the other, it matters where the front sits, if it is not even adjust it to even, even if the bolts don't match,

RIGHT! If the bolt lengths always MATCHED to achieve same ride height on both sides, they would not even be there!

Manufacturing tolerances on the torsions bars, as well as clearances in the working parts, account for slight mis-match in ride height, which is taken care of through the adjustment bolts. The key is SLIGHT differences in height, NOT 3 or 4 inches. imp

wow i have the same problem on my 95 xl ranger! driver side sits lower than passenger on the front end. i had a feeling it might have had to do with the torsion setting. i go for a wheel alignment next week, will they mess with the torsion to correct this???

You don't have torsion bars :p: there's a cam bolt that they use to adjust camber on the TIB/TTB Rangers through 1997.

Correct, righty-tighty to lift. Use a short 13mm six point socket and lift the wheels off the ground. Snapped torsion bolts are no fun.

So the wheels can't be touching the ground. For example, on a lift?

Makes them much harder to turn. You are lifting the front suspension with two M12 bolts.
Unloading the tires will greatly reduce the chance of rounding the heads or breaking the bolts.

You don't have torsion bars :p: there's a cam bolt that they use to adjust camber on the TIB/TTB Rangers through 1997.

omg i feel dupid lol. it's all good, thanks for the heads up, shows how much i know about my truck lol

went for the alignment and didn't get it done because dood says i had a bad wheel bearing up on the driver's side. i'm just now starting to hear it and just gotta finger out which one it is. i dred it though, cuz it's getting colder and my hands are going to hate me :(

Back