Torsion Bar Questions

CougarX

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 EB, '02 ST, '97 XLT
Ok, I know there is a Torsion Bar 101 Sticky, but my situation isn't in there...

So i go to do a small torsion twist today, to match my warrior shackles. I get to looking at the bars and the ratings and get very confused. Here it all is.

Door Spring Code: 2H
Sticker on Torsion Bar: LGA or RGA (left/right)
Stamping on End of Bar: GA

Now this seems contradictory, is a 2 the same as an A? I was under the assumption that Explorers with the air ride suspension (4 air shocks) had lighter duty springs and torsion bars. Although mine is a AWD V8, so maybe the higher rated bars are neccesary.

I may have just answered my own question but i'd like to know for sure or at least get opinions:p

Secondly, according to the ford service manual directions, you're supposed to align the marks on the torsion bar with the marks on the adjuster. I see no such marks. However, on the front of the bar(which goes into the control arm) there is a small arrow, is this arrow supposed to be clocked in any particular direction? My driver's side bar is clocked 1/6th of a turn off as opposed to the passenger side. Not sure if this matters but just checking.

Back