• Register Today It's free!

torsion bar suspension

Shane Shepherd

Reaction score
City, State
Albany Western Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XL
wish to get my hands on some torsion bars that will give me lift 30-50mm some advice on brands and companies with e.mail addresses would be good. I am a west aussie and getting answers over here is impossible they say they cannot not get me any torsion bars, and replacing my standard torsion bars with heavy or larger outside diameter ones will not achieve me any height is this true.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't belive anyone makes an upgraded/longer torsion bar. You don't need one anyways. You need to adjust the bars, which is commonly called a torsion twist. You can get up to 2 inches of lift usually.

Here you go, click here for more info on a torsion twist.

I am am aware of how to adjust torsion bars, thanks for the info. but should I renew the torsion bars like I would to any other part of the suspension. Are you sure that there is not a heavier torsion bar out there with a larger outside diameter

There are no aftermarket torsion bars for the X. Ford did have a few different stiffnesses, "B" being the stiffest on the second gen, though there were "1", and "2" on the sporttrac. However, the stiffness isn't really a measure of overall strength; and a stiffer bar is actually more likely to snap rather than bend.

That being said, only a couple members on this site have had tbars fail.

Back