Torsion Bar twist | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Torsion Bar twist

FordMan

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a question for you. I just installed my Warrior shackles, Bilstein shocks, 31" BFG A/T KOs, and cranked my torsion bars...
The shackles gave me exactly 1.5" of lift, when I cranked my torsion bars I turned both sides 6 complete turns and that leveled out my ride, but the left torsion bar has maybe 1/4 of a turn left on the threads and the right side has quite a bit of threads left. Why would the left adjuster be turned in more than the right? The truck is level, both right and left sides measure the same height. I'm perplexed. Looking at the CV joints, they look to be at the same angle...any thoughts?

------------------
Vic W.
1997 XLT 4x4

Hi Vic,
The reason is that the torsion bars are not the same length. the one on the drivers side is longer than the one on the passengers side. When I did mine, I brought them both up the same number of turns, and the right side turned out to be higher than the left side. After looking at it, I realized that the two torsion bars were differente sizes. I had to back off on the right hand side by about 2 1/2 turns.

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L.
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC

Back