Torsion Bars Maxed Out - Buy New Bolt?? | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Torsion Bars Maxed Out - Buy New Bolt??

macker123

Reaction score
City, State
victoria, bc
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer Sport 4.0 OHV
I just finished installing my shackles on my 97 Sport. Turns out I had to max out my torsion bars to get an even height.

I was wanting to buy some 4-door leafs and then add a leaf, but of course my front is maxed out.

I am not going to worry about it for now if I have to buy spindles as I am already spending to much on the truck.

Can I just buy longer bolts? If so can somebody tell me what size. I have the 97 Sport so I presume all Sports have "D" rated bars.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

section525

sextion525
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Red Bluff, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1975 Ford Bronco 4x4
Yes you can buy longer bolts. I did the same thing back when I was 2WD. Search the site, because I know the size bolts you need are on here somewhere. :D

section525

sextion525
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Red Bluff, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1975 Ford Bronco 4x4
You talked me into finding it for you... M12X1.75X90mm

section525

sextion525
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Red Bluff, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1975 Ford Bronco 4x4
That should be your stock size. So you should get some a little longer. Also, before you put them in it is a good idea to ground the tip to a nice round.

mach1460

Reaction score
City, State
laramie Wyoming
Year, Model & Trim Level
93' limited
just in case u didnt know ....
when your removing torsion bars, use making tape and mark the sides as they come out front/rear driver/pass side if they are installed the wrong way they will snap within a few blocks , they are only made to twist one way if they are twisted the other way they break, i reccomend new ones if u have the means but the old ones work fine

macker123

Reaction score
City, State
victoria, bc
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer Sport 4.0 OHV
I don't have to remove the bars to install new bolts?? I just unscrew the bolt and screw the new one in, correct?

section525

sextion525
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Red Bluff, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1975 Ford Bronco 4x4
I don't have to remove the bars to install new bolts?? I just unscrew the bolt and screw the new one in, correct?

Right! :D

sk1er17

My "Jeep Thing" itches...
Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport
If you still have the monoleaf on the rear you might not need those new bolts... I have a 98 and i did the TT/Shackle and because of the monoleaf my truck sagged worse than before i got the shackles. I recently put on the 4 door springs at it evened it out... Im ordering a Double AAL from pro-comp so i get 2 more inches in the back... when everything settles i should have 1-1.5inches higher in the rear than the front.

If you want the double AAL too- you can call 4wheelparts... they dont stock it but i called pro-comp and the part # is 13135.

Doug

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Sykesville, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
You can get procomp add a leafs from summit racing. I just ordered some last night and they where 35 dollars with shipping.