Torsion Bolts

storlied

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage, Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 5.0L V8 AWD XLT
Has anyone ever had them snap while trying to turn them? I'm worried about this, I had a caliper bolt snap once while replacing the front brake pads, are the chances of the bolt snapping really high or what? Can I just get under there and crank? (truck, not jacked)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When the truck was jacked up and the tire hanging, my bolts moved without any trouble. Even with the truck on the ground, I was able to turn the bolts to make fine adjustments....I don't recommend that way though.

yeah make sure you have it off the ground.

long as its off the ground they wont snap, dont need to crank them much to get a couple inches of lift out of it

Never heard of them snapping, they are easy to turn if it is off the ground.

I figured it would be easier to measure lifts with it on the ground? What exactly do I do, lift it to 2 inches, drive it around and let it settle? Or lift it to whatever I want, drive it around let it settle and keep adjusting it until it's just right?

People have had to get longer bolts, is that the case with specific models and years? Or is it completely random? I've got the 98 XLT AWD.

What do I say when I'm getting it aligned?, I adjusted my torsion bars and my front end needs to be aligned? Does that come with steering alignment?... =\ This might get a bit expensive. Is it possible to do this with just one jack? As if changing the tires? One side, and then the other.

I just threw a jack under one side at a time and adjusted the bolts about halfway in. Then set it down and drove down the street and back. Got back and measured the results and repeated. Only took two tries to get the front even with the rear. It was easier than expected.

An alignment should include caster/camber/toe measurements and adjustments if necessary. Just tell them you cranked up the torsion bars and need an alignment.

Did I mention I live in Alaska where it's around 10, down to -20 right now? Could that make the bolts snap? How durable are they? Could anything freeze up in the front end that would make this adjustment impossible? (I wish I had a garage.....)

Ouch, no garage...that would suck at -20! The cold shouldn't affect much other than your hands trying to hold the tools.

Try backing the bolts out first a little to make sure they move, then tighten them up. Spray lube/penetrating oil on them no matter what method you use. If there's a bunch of crap on the threads, use a wire brush to clean them off. Otherwise the bolts will be difficult to turn.

There should be no problem adjusting the torsion bar bolts with the weight of the vehicle being supported by the bars. In fact, that is the correct procedure according to the factory shop manual.

If that's the case, then Sweet.. I'm set I guess. Wouldn't any oils freeze? Prolly not huh?..

rwenzing , do you have anymore information about this?..

rwenzing , do you have anymore information about this?..
The shop manual has a procedure for calculating and setting the correct factory ride height by adjusting the torsion bars. As you would expect, there is no info about using a modified adjustment like many on this board do.

The factory recommended procedure is to adjust the torsion bars with weight on them. Actually, IMO, you should be able to do it either way. My guess is that the loaded procedure is recommended because it would be a time saver for a shop tech. Setting the ride height adjustment by trial and error would be faster and easier on drive-on hoist instead of raising and lowering the vehicle repeatedly.

Back