torsion flip plus air shocks?

expo5.0

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Red Wing, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 xlt
is there any possibility for a nice riding adjustable height front and rear explorer with a torsion flip up front and air shocks all the way around?

I don't really care how fast it goes up and down, i'm just looking for a cheaper option than bagging it for getting the front end down to 4 or 5" below stock height.

any reason it wouldn't work to do the flip and then use air shocks (if i can find the right length) to raise it back up some...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would be interested to know if they do make shocks that will bolt onto the front also. You could make anything fit if you want to cut, grind, etc., but that could be just as much work as putting bags on.

there must be some that will work (at least with respect to bolting on)

i think the main issue would be getting the right length ones etc. (we'd have to do the flip and take measurements etc. etc.

i would be very willing to do some testing with this and to post the results if ya'll will help me with the research end of it a bit.

I'd be suprised if air shocks could lift the front end of the explorer(namely because they are meant for lighter loads e.g. under a truck bed or rearend), and if it could I don't know that the ride would be that good because air shocks don't rebound nearly as well as regular shocks

I would be interested to know if you could just pull the Torsion Bars out and run this combo: Shockwave

(late addition)Or This one: 1998 - 2005 FORD RANGER FRONT AXLE KIT ONLY PER PAIR **NO HOSE KIT
Its about halfway down the page

Has anyone done that?

honestly i have heard MANY things bad about chassis tech, mostly concerning quality.

secondly, i dont think that the air shocks would be able to , "untwist"' the t-bar, they are pretty strong, and like dcarp said they are moslty used under LIGHT truck beds for the purpose you intend to use them for.

Back