• Register Today It's free!

torsion flip problem

brianguta2000

Reaction score
City, State
the colony, texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xlt
Having a slight problem flipping the adjusters. From the tutorials i find and the pics that i see my explorer is slightly different. Where the torsion adjusters rest there is not a torsion plate to remove, it simply rest right on the metal and appears that there was at one time a thin piece of rubber in between the two that has now deteriorated. But, it is not a plate, by the way i have a 96 4 door xlt if this makes any difference. I have the gear puller and attempted to use it but i just didnt seem to do anything other than angle the torsion adjuster up like the bolt does. I may be doing something incorrect but it looks simple enough. Any suggestions or help would be great. thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

brianguta2000 said:
Having a slight problem flipping the adjusters. From the tutorials i find and the pics that i see my explorer is slightly different. Where the torsion adjusters rest there is not a torsion plate to remove, it simply rest right on the metal and appears that there was at one time a thin piece of rubber in between the two that has now deteriorated. But, it is not a plate, by the way i have a 96 4 door xlt if this makes any difference. I have the gear puller and attempted to use it but i just didnt seem to do anything other than angle the torsion adjuster up like the bolt does. I may be doing something incorrect but it looks simple enough. Any suggestions or help would be great. thanks

The bar you have to remove it the one that the bolt goes through, first remove outer plate, then you will see key and that bushing you said was worn, remove the bolt and the torsion bar should be loose, :eek: but you have to have the truck jacked up and supperted on stands, :eek: Then you can use puller if needed to get key off of torsion bar,

i have the outer plate removed, bolt removed also, truck jacked up on jack stands by the frame and front wheel off the ground i guess the question should have been originally stated how do you get the torsion bar loose thats the problem i am having. As i stated earlier, from the pics i saw online it appears that you use the gear puller to get the torsion plate out, take the gear puller off and you now have a loose torsion bar dangling. The problem i have run into is i dont have have a torsion plate to remove so i cant get the bar loose to flip the torsion adjuster.

Dead Link Removed

Look closely at the bolt in this picture,the piece it is threaded to comes out of the frame, the gear puller will push up on the torsion key high enough to pull plate out, What does the adjuster bolt screw on to on your vehicle?

adjuster.jpg

ok, i think i understand what you are saying and yes i have the same set up, correct me if im wrong, the part that the torsion bolt threads into has to come out?

Exactly, the gear puller grabs the frame and pushes up on the key so the piece can come out, the torsion bar will hag down and key should easily slip off the end then just flip it over, it is highly recommended to grind a groove on the key where the bolt will now sit, people have said the key will jump off of the bolt if not installed with a notch,

Here is a pic of what I did to my key when reinstalling it, the rounded part is not needed but allows key to sit better,

torkey.gif

Here is how you use wheel puller,

torkey1.gif

ok, i see where i was going wrong, i appreciate your help, thanks

No problem, would like to see pics when you get it done,

Please notch the adjuster where the bolt is going to rest... it's completely way too dangerous to skip this step. Other than that, good luck.

I say don't mess around with that Torsion flip stuff. Go Coilovers thats what I did. I recomend 600 lb springs though if you do.

95-early 97 will have problems doing the flip due to the different style adjusters. They were built in to the adjuster as when the 98+ were a separate pad.

Slush Box said:
I say don't mess around with that Torsion flip stuff. Go Coilovers thats what I did. I recomend 600 lb springs though if you do.

Think you could get some pics of the suspension? I saw the pics of your truck on the site in your sig. Interested in seeing the setup.

yeah the adjusters were slightly differrent from the pics i found that walk you through the procedure, that kinda threw me off a bit but i got it done today in about an hour looks good once you drive around for awhile to fall into negative camber. Id be all about coilovers but im assuming thats pricey and im a cheap ass so i stick to things i can do myself for the most part.will post some pics once i get some wheels for the damn thing. Thanks again for your help guys wouldve been stumped without your help.

by the way i didnt even use the gear puller on the second side at all just a small block of wood to move the adjuster up and a crappy little jack i bought for like 20 bux i believe. Worked great and was much faster than cranking the gear puller 8000 turns.

Back