Torsion keys and backspacing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Torsion keys and backspacing

SC-Bogger

Reaction score
City, State
Mt.Pleasant, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
i have a 1999 explorer xlt w/a 4 inch suspension and 33x12.50's...i was planing on replacing these in the near future and was thinking about adding torsion keys to squeze a little bit more tire in there.....i was wodering if any one could tell me the siz tire i should put w/ the 4 inch suspension and torsion keys..... i was also wondering if any one could give me a place to buy these torsion keys.... and i am replacing my rims and couldnt remember my backspacing and was wondering if someone could tell me that too....THANKS!!!!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i wanted to get the topic back to the top....haha and it sucks i cant find anything

Well, give it some time. It hasn't even been an hour yet. Let people get the chance to see it and hopefully someone can help you out.

Sorry I can't but my answer to any "what size tire should I put on?" is always 35s. :D

I know the torsion key thing has been talked about a few time before.
Good luck.

ya thats true...im hopin i can squeze those in if i get these

you think id be just plastic or some metal too

In my quest for lifting my 2WD I found these on ebay, seller tells me they're for 4WD only.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-0...tegoryZ33585QQihZ018QQitemZ280072750314QQrdZ1

That kit is a rip off & the seller does not know his ass from a hole in the ground. I know we are talking Explorers but he list that kit for 96-01 Rangers.

Rangers up to 97 used a TTB front suspension.

You will get the same amount of lift from doing a torsion twist. If you already have a done a torsion twist you could not use the keys as they would put your axle shafts at too much an angle.

Good to know. I thought the idea of these was that you get the free lift while keeping the torsion bars at the stock adjustment, keeping the stock ride and not being so stiff.

ok i remembered about the keys.... can i get lifted keys and leave the torsion at the height they are at now? stock preload... i wnat an inch or 2 in height but dont really want to do a torsion twist, i liek the ride now... i iwll be getting the alignment botls though

35s on 15x8 wheels with 3.75" backspacing would fit with a 2" body lift or turning the tortion bars up to the highest safe setting. You would have to trim plastic and maybe some metal.

35s on 15x10s with 4" backspacing you need a 3" body lift and you still have to cut metal.

I was running 9" of lift and still creased both front fenders wheelin. Thats why I am running fiberglass fenders with the added clearance.

Back