Totaled '91 XLT 4x4. Should I pull off some parts before junking it? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Totaled '91 XLT 4x4. Should I pull off some parts before junking it?

Thallarsen

Reaction score
City, State
Potomac, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 5.0 Limited AWD
Just trying to get an idea of whether it's worth it for me to recover some parts from my Explorer before letting it go off into the hands of the junkyard.
I think that because of its age & since it's totaled, the insurance company doesn't want to deal with it, and are saying that storing it, junking it, parting it out, etc. is my problem after tomorrow. I'll know more by tomorrow.
Most of the body parts aren't worth messing with, except maybe the rear liftgate, taillights, & bumper - but I assume those are a dime a dozen. There are other parts that may be more scarce (interior, tires/wheels, etc.), so I'm putting out some feelers to see if it's worth messing with.
Since I guess that this is sort of a 'parts available' posting, and this isn't the For Sale or Wanted category, go to my more detailed post in the 'For Sale' section .Dead Link Removed
with the same heading.

Thanks,
J.P

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well what shape was the engine, tranny, t-case etc in when it was wrecked? If they are in good condition you could get some bucks out of them. I know I'd be interested in steering box, power steering pump front interior door panels, rear cargo cover and clips to hold cover on interior panels, drivers side vanity visor w/mirror. I would even consider listing a bunch of stuff on ebay and see how it goes.

You know this site can scavenge an Ex to pieces in no time at all once you decide to part it out. I'd check the site out and see what the most popular items are people are looking for and part those out.

AlaskanJack,
Send me an email with what you want, and I'll save it. When I know whether I'll be parting this out, I'll pull the things that are easy to get, and get back to the people who emailed me.
thallarsen@aol.com
All of the running gear is original with high mileage....although it was running beautifully & had a lot of miles left in it, the big components are probably not worth messing with. I dunno about the steering box, though.
J.P.

OK email sent

I would pull off all the parts that arent totaled. Anything that isnt too hard to pull off would be worth parting out. I would imagine it should take a few weeks for it to be picked to shreds:) You might even want to be nice and donate some parts to my "cause", LOL cause I dont have any money :)

The axle/diffs could be worth something...

For instance Jeep guys love the Ford 8.8 rear diff, if it's got decent gears in it. They might want the axle.

can you take the seatbelt thing out for me?

Attachments

• belt.jpg
    belt.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 139

Part it before you junk it!!!! Our '92 was totalled in a roll, and I got about $3500-$4000 for parts I sold on here before it went to the junkyard.

Back