Totalled my Explorer 2 hrs. ago. Punished a Daewoo....What Explorer should I buy? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Totalled my Explorer 2 hrs. ago. Punished a Daewoo....What Explorer should I buy?

Thallarsen

Reaction score
City, State
Potomac, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 5.0 Limited AWD
I'm still tensed up, keyed up, and I need to vent. I'm going to the source here.....what year/model/engine Explorer should I get?
The accident was a doozie on black ice.
It was the Daewoo's fault. Two 17 year old girls lost control in the ice (both of us doing 40-45) & hit me head on. They both got carted to the hospital & I stuck around to help direct traffic. No front end left on my car....except the left blinker and a twisted bumper....bent frame, axles both tweaked, but it held up pretty good considering.
I hated to see that Explorer go. First time I've ever watched my car go on a JerrDan and not cared about how it was hooked up, or how it was going to be unloaded.
210k and going strong. Original engine, trans, rear, etc. no rebuilds....I had taken care of every little gremlin, and it was truly running like it was 100k ago, and looked just as good. No dings, leather/interior almost perfect (except some fatigue on the driver's seatbase) everything worked. EVERYTHING. That old truck was really holding up. I think it had another 100k in it.
Damn. How am I going to get anything decent from the insurance company, that will put me in something that will hold up & go down the road without too many problems. I'm going to get another Explorer, no doubt about that, and I'm now leaning toward one with airbags. Funny how a little experience can change one's priorities. Yesterday, a nice sound system would have been the priority.
What Explorer should I buy?
A buddy of mine just got a '98 Limited. Haven't seen it yet, but it sounds nice.
What years should I avoid if any?

Thanks,
J.P.
was...'91 XLT in near perfect shape.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Late 90's 4 Door Ex with an SOHC V-6.

'98-'01 V8! :D Best trannies.. power.. reliabilty.. gas mileage. Go get one!

I agree. If you can, get a 5.0. Sounds like you'll need the AWD where you live, too. The 5.0 AWD is a great truck for weather and light wheeling.

Originally posted by section525
'98-'01 V8! :D Best trannies.. power.. reliabilty.. gas mileage. Go get one!
just curious, what are the differences between the 97 V8 and the 98-01 V8? i wasn't aware of anything other than cosmetic...

Thanks for the replies so far. I guess my question is a truly debatable one; maybe second to 'what's the best oil', but in light of that, thanks Morgan97Ltd for opening up that debate.
I'll be following it all, reading and learning.
And hopefully end up with the right Explorer.
J.P.

wow this is a coincidence, i got in an accident tonight too at like the same time.....and i live in MD also

Maryland huh? i live in ohio and just heard the weatherman mention u guys getting 12-24" of snow by tommorw night :eek: good luck!!

Originally posted by Morgan97Ltd
Maryland huh? i live in ohio and just heard the weatherman mention u guys getting 12-24" of snow by tommorw night :eek: good luck!!

Jeeze:eek: :eek:

But anyways, if you get a SOHC, you can expect roughness, at idle, in 97 and 98, and I get mild roughness in my 99 SOHC. What are your plans for the explorer, street, stock, or offroads. That should help to make your decision. Generally, V8s are best for street and six packs are better on trails. Also, the 6 cylinder will reduce price, and give you better gass milage. Hope this helps, and glad to see that your OK. Best of luck to you.

just curious, what are the differences between the 97 V8 and the 98-01 V8? i wasn't aware of anything other than cosmetic...

Well, in your 97 you may or may not have the GT40P Heads (which are better than just the GT40s). But I know for a fact you don't have the '98 rear hatch! :D Which is why I said 98-01. Also, in '99 Ford updated the 4R70W tranny to make it more reliable. (I've seen the insides of both my trannies so I know there is a difference! :D ).

I agree, get the V8.

Back