• Register Today It's free!

Touch screen not responding

JDerecola

Reaction score
City, State
Douglassville
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
I have a 2014 Sport with 31000 miles on it. After driving and shutting it off upon restart the touch screen is not working. The rearview camera works as well as the phone. The part of the screen where you would touch for the radio and heat is dead. Can't control rear heat or different modes of the heat system. I disconnected the battery no help. Any info is appreciated. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you get anything on the screen at all when not in reverse, such as the 4 quadrants? You mentioned it did not come on after restarting. Was it working before that you shut the vehicle off? Is still blank or has it come back? If the screen is blank/black, I would suspect that the APIM may be faulty. The APIM is the 'brains' of the MFT system.

Peter

This is going to sound sort of strange. Do you happen to have anything plugged into any USB port? If so unplug it then restart the EX.

Do you get anything on the screen at all when not in reverse, such as the 4 quadrants? You mentioned it did not come on after restarting. Was it working before that you shut the vehicle off? Is still blank or has it come back? If the screen is blank/black, I would suspect that the APIM may be faulty. The APIM is the 'brains' of the MFT system.

Peter
The screen is not black or blank It has all 4 quadrants nothing happens when you touch them. Nothing plugged in. The screen is visible just doesn't function.

It could be the APIM or Touchscreen itself. Does the display follow the radio stations when you change them?

Try a touchscreen calibration: press and hold the CD eject button and then SEEK UP at same time for about 5-10 seconds. This will put the unit into diagnostics mode and it does a speaker test. After the speaker test is complete a menu will show up. Now press and hold the seek down button until the calibration screen appears. If it goes into this the touchscreen calibrations and registers nothing on the screen when you touch it I would say its the screen that is bad. If it doesn't go into this mode then it may be the APIM. Maybe doing the calibration will cure it too, who knows.

Let us know.

It could be the APIM or Touchscreen itself. Does the display follow the radio stations when you change them?

Try a touchscreen calibration: press and hold the CD eject button and then SEEK UP at same time for about 5-10 seconds. This will put the unit into diagnostics mode and it does a speaker test. After the speaker test is complete a menu will show up. Now press and hold the seek down button until the calibration screen appears. If it goes into this the touchscreen calibrations and registers nothing on the screen when you touch it I would say its the screen that is bad. If it doesn't go into this mode then it may be the APIM. Maybe doing the calibration will cure it too, who knows.

Let us know.
I had to Explorer to the dealer today. APIM has to be replaced. Dealer has to order the part. No charge to repair, glad of that. Hopefully everything works out. Thanks all the replies.

Let us know how it works out.

Dealer replaced APIM screen still not working . Goes back in may be the screen itself. Any thoughts. Thanks

Dealer replaced APIM screen still not working . Goes back in may be the screen itself. Any thoughts. Thanks
Offhand, I can't recall reading any post here about the screen itself having to be replaced.

Peter

Me either but I had a feeling it was the screen and not the APIM from the basic description of the issue. That is why I posted about the calibration setup.

Dealer replaced APIM and screen. All is well. Just glad I purchased the extended warranty. Would have cost me $1040 just had to pay $100 deductible. Thanks for all the replies

Did your screen ever got fix? And what was the problem that needed fix?
Thanks

Thanks
My understanding is at first the dealer replaced his APIM and that was not the problem so they replaced the screen as well and that fixed the problem.

I am guessing you are having a problem. What is your specific issue/problem?

Thanks
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
It is very unusual to have the screen go bad. Usually it is the APIM. As Jason asked, exactly what is the issue with yours? A blank screen or a regular screen that is unresponsive to touch?

Peter

It is very unusual to have the screen go bad. Usually it is the APIM. As Jason asked, exactly what is the issue with yours? A blank screen or a regular screen that is unresponsive to touch?

Peter
My screen is just not responding to touch even after fuse resets and no response on the calibration test. What now?

@SHANHALL Sounds like the touchscreen itself is bad. Time to replace it.

My screen is just not responding to touch even after fuse resets and no response on the calibration test. What now?

Peter

I have read through this thread as my wife is experiencing similar issues. At first I thought it was the touch screen, but now I am not sure. It initially started when she couldn't turn on her heated seats. So I started reading about it yesterday and proceeded to perform the hard resets with no success. What I saw was the right half of the screen did not seem to respond to any touches. The left half seemed to be delayed. I tried going into settings but if I hit any selection in settings, it would just carry me back to the radio screen. My wife said this morning that her phone did not connect as usual (which may be from my hard resets last night) so she hit her source button below the screen and went through all the sources. But when she got to the blue tooth, sim, line in, etc...it skipped bluetooth and just went to line in. This now has me wondering if it is in fact the module and not the touchscreen.

After work today, I had her perform the touchscreen calibration in post 5 above, and it let her do a couple of the calibrations until it got to the bottom left of the screen and it wouldn't recognize her touch any longer. Now here screen is just stuck in the calibration and white.

What do you guys think? Touch screen or module? It comes on every time and looks correct. Just cannot make selections like we normally can. Also, where is the best place to order whichever piece I need? Thanks!

Welcome to the Forum Bryan. :wave:
It could very well be that the APIM has gone bad. The Accessory Protocol Interface Module is the brains behind MFT. You can't buy these units from Ford. Most that replaced them found used ones but they have to be configured to your Explorer. Perhaps this may provide some info if indeed it is a bad APIM. APIM replacement... location, part No, how to?

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Bryan. :wave:
It could very well be that the APIM has gone bad. The Accessory Protocol Interface Module is the brains behind MFT. You can't buy these units from Ford. Most that replaced them found used ones but they have to be configured to your Explorer. Perhaps this may provide some info if indeed it is a bad APIM. APIM replacement... location, part No, how to?

Peter
It just really seems like the touchscreen. So does the APIM control the actual touchscreen it’s self? I was thinking if the APIM was bad, it would affect the steering wheel controls and other buttons as well. I went ahead and ordered a screen because it’s cheaper and has a 30 day return policy. I guess I’ll start there since I jumped the gun.

Back