Tow Hitch Interoperability | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tow Hitch Interoperability

I own a 1998 4X4 Extended Cab Ranger XLT that has a U-Haul Class III hitch installed. I also own a 2005 4X4 Explorer XLT with a factory mounted Class II hitch.

They appear similar in shape and size and I would like to swap them around as I'm more likely to tow a rowing shell trailer (total trailer weight ~ 4000lbs) with the Explorer than the Ranger.

Before I even bother to get underneath them to take a look at things can anyone tell me if this is even remotely possible/advisable?

And despite the flag...I do live here in the States... :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They are not interchangeable, the Explorer frame is much wider and after 02 the Explorer is completely different from the Ranger. I also believe the 05 factory one is welded to the frame.

Double check on the Weld, i thought i saw or heard that the '05 where still bolt on. . . .'06 is when they started welding them on. If its a bolt on you can find a junkyard classIII for 75-100. Grab the harness too, it will plug and bolt on. Many '02-04 for sure, '05 maybe. I still have the 3.55 gears which really puts me at a 3,500 limit but with overdirve off i havent had a problem.

Thanks jrford. I think maybe it is worth it to get down under there and poke around. I'll let you know on the welding so everyone has a definitied answer on that.

Towing 3500lb - do you have a transmission oil cooler installed or not?

Towing 3500lb - do you have a transmission oil cooler installed or not?

Nope, just the stock cooler. I think all 3rd Gens, have a Trans cooler that sits between the A/C cond. and Rad near the bottom, about 12" high and 36" wide is my guess. They no longer go through the bottle built into the Radiator, but have there own cooling system.

So I'm not sure on the years for each "Generation". Is the 05 a 2nd Gen?

Back