• Register Today It's free!

tow hook installation

amrush

Reaction score
City, State
Millburn, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT
I'm looking for suggestions on installing tow-hooks to the front end of my 1999 Exploxer 4dr. I would like to avoid drilling holes in the frame. Does anyone know of any tow hooks that are available that allow installation to the 1999 Explorer XLT 4dr without having to drill holes in the frame?

Thanks,
Allen

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

View

Dead Link Removed

Here's what I did, but I had to drill a hole on either side. They work great.

I wouldn't do it....

If at all possible, I'd suggest putting a receiver hitch on.

It's much more expensive than $10 tow hooks, but you will destroy expensive sheetmetal and plastic trim if you hook up in a manner that drags the tow rope up or sideways.

The alternative would be the long hooks you can get from GM, but they will still require slicing and dicing the plastic.

I recently put a front receiver on my wife's 98 XLT, and I liked it so much I put one on my Ranger yesterday. Suprisingly, it was more work to get it on the Ranger (both front and rear receiver hitches) than the Explorer. Plastic trimming was required.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=26778&highlight=hitch

It's also much MUCH stronger if you expect to have to use it. Since both frame rails are involved, plus you have a box to push against (functionally an additional frame crossbeam) you don't have to worry SO much about tweaking something.

Hope this helps.

PS I have a box with 4 of the $10 hooks sitting on my shelf, I made a real stab at using them and decided against it.

where did you get the front hitch, how much was it, and will it work on a 1994 X?

Cheap Reese, mabye $120?? from Kragens

I can't remember exactly how much it was, I also got a skidplate for the receiver (should have gotten two, need one for my Ranger).

http://www.reeseprod.com/

is where I got the info, they have a fitment guide there.

Draw-Tite made the one I put on my 97 Ranger, and that should be virtually identical to your 94 Explorer. I couldn't tell which was Draw-Tite and which was Reese when I compared the instructions, I suspect they are the same product line.

I called around and looked on the net, the shipping was horrendous so I went through Kragens. Took about a week to get, same as the Draw-Tite from a moving company.

Hey, I recently put tow hooks on my 93. I struggled forever to find a good mounting place, even drilled holes. I took off my bumper to make it easier, but after that, I found 2 perfect holes on the inside of each side of the frame. One hole is right before the crossmember bar thing, and one is back there a little further. Remind me, I can try to take some pics. It was the awesomeist most perfect fit, and the tow hooks look freaking awesome. I have them mounted sideways, so they look like normal tow hooks, but they are bigger because the are the chevy.

ok i ak reminding you to take pics like you asked

Haha ok, send me a email, it has been raining here, but it wont tomorrow hopefully ,so I will take a pic email me.

Re: I wouldn't do it....

Originally posted by briantf
If at all possible, I'd suggest putting a receiver hitch on.

I am in the same boat here. I have two on the back, but have been putting off putting any on the front until I install my 2" lift(this weekend). I like the front tow hitch idea, because like BrianTF said you can get a nice little skid plate that mounts in it and they also have some pretty nice winch mounts too. JCWhitney has one with a bunch of accessories and I think it is made by Hidden Hitch.

Back