Tow Hook | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tow Hook

07LTDDSM

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Sport Trac LTD
Has anyone installed tow hooks? I see plenty of ST owners with bumper/grill guards. Is there a way to install them tow hooks?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

here's mine missing a tooth (bent the stamp weld gettign pulled out of a jam)
P1070865.jpg

Shackles instead of hooks

I wound up first installing a Curt 31545 front receiver, but never liked the way the receiver hung so low to the ground. Here's what one looks like with the receiver part cut away and a pair of 3/4" x 3" x 5-1/4" Shackle Mounts welded to the sides. The shackle brackets came from comp4x4.com, p/n DIY0003. They are welded all the way around, with 2.25" sticking out in front.

DSC_0047.png

DSC_0054.png

For 2nd gen ST '07-10 this is whats used. This is the same thing for all 3rd and 4th Gen Ex/mounty. It also fit on my '04 but i went with the two frame mounts. This one mounts to the big lower cross member. Export usually got them. Was about 60 or so from the dealer. It will pull out out of mud but i wouldn't want to hoist the whole truck with it.

Attachments

• 003sm.jpg
    003sm.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 1,202

For 2nd gen ST '07-10 this is whats used. This is the same thing for all 3rd and 4th Gen Ex/mounty. It also fit on my '04 but i went with the two frame mounts. This one mounts to the big lower cross member. Export usually got them. Was about 60 or so from the dealer. It will pull out out of mud but i wouldn't want to hoist the whole truck with it.

I like. Where did you get them and how much? Do you have any photos of them installed?

I like what you did there Sport Trac 08, I have the same hitch and will be doing the same thing on my 08 Explorer. The shackle brackets I got are similar dimensions (slightly thicker...1"). Did you cut a notch into the hitch bar to fit the brackets into it before welding or did you just weld them to the front surface? I was planning to cut some notches in the hitch bar and slide the brackets into them, then weld all around where the brackets and hitch bar meet for maximum strength.

I wound up first installing a Curt 31545 front receiver, but never liked the way the receiver hung so low to the ground. Here's what one looks like with the receiver part cut away and a pair of 3/4" x 3" x 5-1/4" Shackle Mounts welded to the sides. The shackle brackets came from comp4x4.com, p/n DIY0003. They are welded all the way around, with 2.25" sticking out in front.

DSC_0047.png

DSC_0054.png

Ronin - Hard to see in these pictures, but mine are just welded to either side of the overall assembly:

DSC_0046.png

DSC_0050.png

DSC_0051.png

mounted on Mounty. Sort of makes a good 'Curb' feeler.

Attachments

• 006sm.jpg
    006sm.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 1,220
  • 007sm.jpg
    007sm.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 1,176

To bring this one back from the dead, does anyone have the part numbers for the bolts and those clip nuts? I can't find them in the parts diagrams online.

To bring this one back from the dead, does anyone have the part numbers for the bolts and those clip nuts? I can't find them in the parts diagrams online.
Digging through old records, I found these part numbers that I think are for this:
W500642S436 SCREW M12X30 HEX FLN
W520815S436 NUT

Back