Tow hooks – do i understand correctly? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tow hooks – do i understand correctly?

Shuswap

Reaction score
City, State
Sorrento, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 4.6L Eddie Bauer
There are no tow hooks on our ’10 EB. On reading the owner’s manual, this vehicle cannot be towed flat down without the Neutral Safety Switch, which is no longer available for the 6R80 transmission. That seems to explain why there are no tow hooks. Apparently, this vehicle, though 4x4 should not be driven on trails that may require recovery.

I hope to get a better understanding of the limitations of this vehicle at the Washington Overland Rally next month but any info you can provide would be welcomed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are no tow hooks on our ’10 EB. On reading the owner’s manual, this vehicle cannot be towed flat down without the Neutral Safety Switch, which is no longer available for the 6R80 transmission. That seems to explain why there are no tow hooks. Apparently, this vehicle, though 4x4 should not be driven on trails that may require recovery.

I hope to get a better understanding of the limitations of this vehicle at the Washington Overland Rally next month but any info you can provide would be welcomed.

I don't think so

Mine came stock with one front 1" tow hoop and here is a picture of it

4741502841_03b93224a5_z.jpg

4742141550_ec2ddcb648_z.jpg

you just need to put the transmission on neutral and transfer case on 4x4 Auto

Electrician, I have the same cross member. How do you feel about the hook being mounted behind the plastic radiator, which has no protection and on the cross member instead of the frame?

I'm not worried because I built 1/8" skid plate

I really appreciate the photos of the skid plate as I am making a template for mine this week. Did you conclude there was no way to mount tow hooks to the frame up front?

I really appreciate the photos of the skid plate as I am making a template for mine this week. Did you conclude there was no way to mount tow hooks to the frame up front?

there is, but then you need to make holes through the bumper cover (because the level of the bottom of the frame is higher than the end of bumper cover)

my next step is to install Sterling Equipment & Mfg. Co. Truck Winch Mount Guard - gator model with 1" tow hoops under winch cradle

5834136122_b7847c78e4_b.jpg

and here is there catalog

http://www.truckwinchmount.com/photos/2009 Truck Winch Mount Catalog.pdf

I already ordered Gator Model Winch Mount Brush Guard with optional add on light bar kit and 1” rod tow loops

Part# 83XGWP-G – W/L - W/1" Rod Tow Loops Under Cradle

cost me $700USD + Shipping

and now it is under fabrication

to the original poster (shu) - flat towing behind a motor home for example, is much different than a recovery in an off-road situation. with that said, you are correct that there are no front tow hooks. Curt (or Curtis), I belive makes a front mount hitch which could hold a recovery hook, winch or other means of recovery if you plan many off-road excursions, it may be worth looking in to as front and rear recovery points are a must for off-roading.

to the original poster (shu) - flat towing behind a motor home for example, is much different than a recovery in an off-road situation. with that said, you are correct that there are no front tow hooks. Curt (or Curtis), I belive makes a front mount hitch which could hold a recovery hook, winch or other means of recovery if you plan many off-road excursions, it may be worth looking in to as front and rear recovery points are a must for off-roading.

Thanks for the tip - Curt does make a receiver mount for '10 Explorer. Since I don't want a winch mount, this looks like a good solution requiring few modifications, although I would add recovery rings to it.

Thanks for the tip - Curt does make a receiver mount for '10 Explorer. Since I don't want a winch mount, this looks like a good solution requiring few modifications, although I would add recovery rings to it.

Recieved my Curt front mount hitch yesterday and will install it later this week and post a photo. Cost was under $200 delivered :) It is rated for a maximum straight line pull of 9,000 lbs.

Tow Hook - Finally

Thanks to Bender's tip I have installed a Curt front end receiver that will take a 9,000 lb straight line pull. This receiver was made for the '10 Ex so there was no drilling and no trimming required - fits great and learning to use a fish wire was fun too.

IMG_1141.jpg
IMG_1140.jpg

Easy installation?

Work on 2010 sport Trac?

it is a 3 men job

you have to drill 2 holes in the frame

2 men have to carry the Grill guard while the 3rd fasten the bolts

a detailed and easy to follow instruction is included

it works perfectly on 2nd gen 2007-2010 Sport Trac and 4th gen 2006-2010 explorer

5999403918_fe8c7e2cf5_b.jpg

5998855433_55e9257a94_b.jpg

5999397068_fecd5f245d_b.jpg

Heads up, my 10' does not have a front tow hook either.

I don't remember seeing one on my '10 last week when I was under there changing the oil... I wonder if the one likes on Electricians can be had from Ford??

It's because The Electrician's Ex isn't US Spec.
Ford US might have them, but I doubt it, especially since 4th Gens are no more.

Equipment for various vehicles can be very different across the globe, despite being from one company.

For what Ford would charge you (if they'd even have it), I don't see why you wouldn't get a front hitch and a shackle receiver or a tow eye receiver kind of like Shuswap's. You can probably get that stuff for less than $160. Then, you also don't hard to worry about the radiator and the point will have easier access.
Here - Front Hitch ~$130 Shackle Receiver ~$30

BTW - Might I say The Electrician, you guys get all the cool Ford stuff. I was just checking the Ford Saudi Arabia page and you guys get the SVT Raptor, the global Ranger and the Mondeo - all in one country!
In America we get all the interesting big Ford products, but the Europeans get most of the cool smaller Ford products. It seems you guys get both!

I know this is an old thread, But the Standard Winch mount bumper is definitely my next mod!!! Love it! Are you guys still using your bumpers? any issues with rust/corrosion like the cheap Weston type stuff?

if you had the tools/welder and steel you could fab up some mounts and bolt them to the locations that a bullbar mounts under the frame then trim the plastic lower chin spoiler like how a bullbar calls for during installation.... my bullbar came with brackets that bolt to the frame rails with 2 bolts each... if you used 1/2 steel and mount generic tow hooks im sure it could be used to yank/pull you out of a sticky situation.... there is already 2 holes in the frame ends so no drilling required .... this location is forward from the radiator

121zuwo.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wait so does this mean if my 08 v6 4x4 gets stuck I can't be towed out ? I had a friend hook me up by the trailer hitch and he pulled me out with me in neutral

Back