• Register Today It's free!

Tow hooks/Recovery points

Jgb6502

Reaction score
City, State
Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Limited AWD 5.0
Ive been reading up on the tow hooks for the 1997 explorer and everyone i have read has said that some drilling is involved. I found these hooks on J.C whitney that say they are gaurenteed to fit or you can get a full refund wanted to know if anyone can shed some light on this.

Heres the link
http://www.jcwhitney.com/black-tow-...jcwx?filterid=d16937y1997j2&fb_source=message

i have a 97 limited all stock right now

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not a big deal to drill a bolt hole. A lot of us use that style hook. Some use the supplied bolts, and put the nut inside the frame. Some use longer bolts and go all the way thru the frame, and the nut on top of the frame. I like going all the way thru the frame to give it more strength using the entire frame rail.

I know this is an old thread but rather then start a new one i figured i would just add to this one. After loads of reasearch its not bad to just drill the extra hole to the frame and notch the bumper in some way but what i am now looking for is if anyone who has done this can post some pics so i can get some ideas. I almost got stuck on a hill yesturday and trying to climb under to find a point to tow from was almost not an option due to ground clearence so i deffinetly need a set of these before i go wheelin again. my first idea was a small square no bigger then a D'ring so that it would be kind of hidden and not to much of my bumper would be gone but i know there are alot more creative people out there so lets SEE them

well since no one responded maybe this will work i'm now debating between put a front trailer hitch or doing tow points. because there are no aftermarket bumpers the front hitch seems smarter but i would like to see what it looks like

Search "Turdle" in the registries.

He had to notch his bumper at one time to fit the hooks, and he posted pics of it.

It's all here, you just have to search it out. Lots faster then waiting on someone to reply 95% of the time. ;)

AFAIK, all 2nd gens have one hole in the right spot under the frame rail, so you just need to drill a second hole. Unfortunately, I didn't take pics when I installed mine. I only have the result...

(lost photo)

Sorry if it's not very re-assuring... but as soon as you remove your front bumper, you'll see what you need to do :)

Ya im sorry i worded this confusingly im not worried about the amount of cutting and all that i would drive it without the front bumper i just wanted too see examples of what other people did. i did see one of mountaingreens front hitch with the red dring and thats actully what got me thinking of useing a hitch instead of recovery points

If a custom bumper interests you, search rlc welding. He can add a reciever to the bumper as well

I grabbed a set from the junk yard off of a different make. I think it was a GM. The hooks had two bolts each and threaded plate that went inside of the frame rail. No drilling was required as the bolt hole locations on the "new" hooks matched up with two holes already in the bottom of the Ex's frame. I did have to remove my bumper to get the threaded metal plates inside of the frame rail. For these Hooks to lay flat against the frame, I did have to cut about 3/4" of an inch of the radiator plastic guard with a razor blade where it meets the frame. I did also cut about 3" wide by about 5" deep each side of the lower air dam

Attachments

• hooks 029.jpg
    hooks 029.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 1,589
  • hooks 031.jpg
    hooks 031.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 1,724

The bumpers by RLC are awesome that fab shop does great work but unfortunatly they are out of my price range. not saying their over priced to be honest with all the work and everything and the finished product they are very well priced just more then i have avaliable to spend thats why i was thinking the hitch because their about a third of the price and half the weight and provide some good features. Benji those actully look pretty good and seem to be hidden kinda nice

Back