Tow package? How to tell? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tow package? How to tell?

Jello

Reaction score
City, State
Brown-town, Ontario
I'm currently looking at some 03 and 04 Explorers to buy. How can you tell if it has a tow package installed? One I'm looking at now has a D4 (3.73 lim slip) axle, and a class III hitch, which is good. But the owner doesn't know if it has the whole package or not. He bought it used and never thought anything of it as he doesn't tow.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is indeed the tow package.

The 3rd gen tow package included the 3.73 gears with LS rear, 2" receiver, 7-pin trailer wiring connector, and the transmission cooler.

Does it matter if its a 4.0 or a 4.6?

Thanks Brad! Looks like this is the one I was hoping for. This truck is a 4.0L. I need it to tow a boat. The boat is about 2500lbs but the trailer is a dual axle with surge breaks, and the tounge weight is only around 200lbs. Should have no problems.

You will be fine towing that boat. If it has a factory class three hitch then it has the whole tow package. The ones without the tow package come with a class two hitch (the one with the tiny opening for the tow bar).

Even without the tow package I think you are ok up to 3500 pounds. Mine has the tow package and the v6 and it is rated something like 5500 pounds.

...and the easiest way to tell just from a photo, etc, is if you see the electrical plug to the left of the hitch. Sometimes people don't even know or forget to list if it has the towing package or not when selling, but a photo of the rear bumper tells you what you need to know.

...and the easiest way to tell just from a photo, etc, is if you see the electrical plug to the left of the hitch. Sometimes people don't even know or forget to list if it has the towing package or not when selling, but a photo of the rear bumper tells you what you need to know.

right you are!!!!

Back