• Register Today It's free!

Tow package question

ATC Buckeye

Reaction score
City, State
Brunswick, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Mazda Tribute
Hello, new here, you guys probably have answered this question somewhere but I've been googling to no avail.

I'm shopping for a vehicle to haul myself as a daily driver, and my family on camping trips (wife, 3 year old girl and one year old twin boys) and pull my 3000 max loaded weight pop up camper. I'm looking at Lambdas, Durangos, and now Explorers. I'd love a Ford, as I'm a big Ford vehicle fan.

I cannot afford a new Explorer so I'm shopping used.

How do I tell if a particular Explorer has the FACTORY towing package by looking at pictures of said vehicle online? I have learned the tricks to spotting the factory package on the D and the Lambdas, but I'm unsure on the Explorer. Unfortunately aftermarket hitches often double as towing packages when dealing with used car salesmen, so I'd like a foolproof way to know if it's factory installed or not. Is there a button on the dash or something like that?

Thank you all in advance, and all apologies if this has been discussed already elsewhere.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There will be a Tow/Haul Button on the dashboard below the light switch on the left side. Also, the tow package from the factory comes with the hitch hidden behind a removable panel on the rear fascia. If the hitch is visible from the back below the rear fascia, it's not a factory package.

Look for the Duct Work under the Engine for the Aux Oil Cooler. there's an opening for it in the passenger side of the front air dam. this only came on Sports or Tow Pack equipped

Tow/Haul button on dash

Also, the decal on the hitch will say 5000lbs, not 3500lbs or anything else.. but that's not definitive and someone could have swapped it from a tow package.. but the Ford dealer add-on hitch is a 2" receiver with a lower rating than 5000lbs.

T Also, the tow package from the factory comes with the hitch hidden behind a removable panel on the rear fascia. If the hitch is visible from the back below the rear fascia, it's not a factory package.

the Ford branded dealer add-on will be hidden, but will be rated at less than 5000lbs on the sticker on the hitch.

Hello, new here, you guys probably have answered this question somewhere but I've been googling to no avail.

I'm shopping for a vehicle to haul myself as a daily driver, and my family on camping trips (wife, 3 year old girl and one year old twin boys) and pull my 3000 max loaded weight pop up camper. I'm looking at Lambdas, Durangos, and now Explorers. I'd love a Ford, as I'm a big Ford vehicle fan.

I cannot afford a new Explorer so I'm shopping used.

How do I tell if a particular Explorer has the FACTORY towing package by looking at pictures of said vehicle online? I have learned the tricks to spotting the factory package on the D and the Lambdas, but I'm unsure on the Explorer. Unfortunately aftermarket hitches often double as towing packages when dealing with used car salesmen, so I'd like a foolproof way to know if it's factory installed or not. Is there a button on the dash or something like that?

Thank you all in advance, and all apologies if this has been discussed already elsewhere.

From the Front the tow package will have an intake duct in the lower spoiler on the passenger side. About 2 1/2" x 6". For the additional transmission cooling.

From the back it is a little harder. The Cover built into the lower black bumper is removable with the tow package. Those without have a solid black piece with a slightly different shape (Flatter vs bulged out). You can tell if you know the difference and see two vehicles side by side.

You get additional camera capability (Alignment projections) with the tow package too (at least with the Limited). Good luck!

The center portion of the rear bumper is convex on 2011-2015 Ex's with tow. Those without factory tow have a molded tray that about 16" x 2" deep.

Get the VIN and plug it into here: http://researchmaniacs.com/VIN-Number-Lookup/WindowSticker/Ford.html

It will pull up the original window sticker with standard and added options.

EDIT: Just plugged in a VIN for a SPORT and all the sticker says is "trailer tow package." Doesn't specify which class though. Probably best to do some digging around the car anyways as someone might have modified something on it. Sorry, thought I could save you a trip to the dealer.

Seeing as this is likely a FWD Base model, the tow package may only be for 2000lbs. The 'Tow' button on the dash doesn't necessarily mean it has the package. My 2011 Limited had that button as well but no tow package.
If you plan to tow more than 2000lbs, it is definitely worth checking out further. The info should be on the hitch itself, located behind the removable cover.

Peter

It has the tow package with a 5k lb limit.

Welcome to the Forum ATC Buckeye.:wavey:
I just looked at the ad again and in the details it states "Maximum Towing Capacity is 2000 lbs."

Peter

The electronic window sticker pulled up and submitted by TerryVanpool shows a line item for the trailer tow package @ $570.00 US.

It has a 3.16 gear ratio so I'm leaning towards this unit not having the class 3 package. Not sure what kinda towing you'll be doing but you may wanna look for a unit with either the 3.39 or 3.65 (I think only available with 2013 and newer).

The ad stated 2000 lbs towing capacity so it definitely isn't a class III.

Peter

It has a 3.16 gear ratio so I'm leaning towards this unit not having the class 3 package. Not sure what kinda towing you'll be doing but you may wanna look for a unit with either the 3.39 or 3.65 (I think only available with 2013 and newer).

Not sure I understand this, isn't it more desireable for towing to have a lower, such as a 3.16 rear end?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back