tow package | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

tow package

stevedud

Reaction score
City, State
Lincroft, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
How do I tell if I have a tow package? I don't have a hitch but I am hoping the other upgrades are in. need to pull the boat. IT is a 98 V8 AWD XLT

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Alec

Elite Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 JK
Tow package on most Xs means a tranny cooler, maybe a more aggressive gear ratio/LS, and trailer harness wiring.

Basically, the Ford tow package don't mean squat if you get have a tranny cooler and put in a trailer harness. I did both aftermarket for $50.

<

Sonny

Reaction score
City, State
Tucson, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 EB V8 2WD
Originally posted by stevedud
How do I tell if I have a tow package? I don't have a hitch but I am hoping the other upgrades are in. need to pull the boat. IT is a 98 V8 AWD XLT

Like ALec said, and on the 99 the harness was at drivers side rear up above the bumper, there was a rubber cap on it. I think mine was gray in color could be red also.

<

dgibson

Elite Explorer<br>ECX member
Reaction score
City, State
virginia beach, va (originally from AR, go Hogs)
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 xlt
I have a tow package on mine. All that included was the tranny cooler and wiring harness. The gear ratio I did my self, and I still don't have a locker/ls just yet. All in due time.

<

Zulu95

Reaction score
City, State
Show Me!
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 LTD V8 AWD SOLD!
I got the trans. cooler, lower geared diff, upgraded cooling and a little harness which plugs into a fitting behind the rear bumper for the flat 4 trailer wiring. This was the OEM package for my V-8 AWD.

<