• Register Today It's free!

tow package

stevedud

Reaction score
City, State
Lincroft, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
How do I tell if I have a tow package? I don't have a hitch but I am hoping the other upgrades are in. need to pull the boat. IT is a 98 V8 AWD XLT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tow package on most Xs means a tranny cooler, maybe a more aggressive gear ratio/LS, and trailer harness wiring.

Basically, the Ford tow package don't mean squat if you get have a tranny cooler and put in a trailer harness. I did both aftermarket for $50.

Originally posted by stevedud
How do I tell if I have a tow package? I don't have a hitch but I am hoping the other upgrades are in. need to pull the boat. IT is a 98 V8 AWD XLT

Like ALec said, and on the 99 the harness was at drivers side rear up above the bumper, there was a rubber cap on it. I think mine was gray in color could be red also.

I have a tow package on mine. All that included was the tranny cooler and wiring harness. The gear ratio I did my self, and I still don't have a locker/ls just yet. All in due time.

I got the trans. cooler, lower geared diff, upgraded cooling and a little harness which plugs into a fitting behind the rear bumper for the flat 4 trailer wiring. This was the OEM package for my V-8 AWD.

Back