Tow/Recovery Hooks 2nd gen Install **PICS** | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tow/Recovery Hooks 2nd gen Install **PICS**

Blazepet7

Reaction score
City, State
Queens, NYC
Year, Model & Trim Level
99' XLT 5.0
Ok well if you are like me you are wondering why on earth didnt they put any recovery hooks on our 2nd generation explorers, there really is no way of towing from the front of the truck (without breaking stuff). I have searched and couldnt find any ideas so heres what I did...

Tools Needed
-Recovery Hooks by Reese
-Socket Set
-Breaker Bar for stuck nuts
-PB Blaster " " "
-Open ended wrenches
-Right angle Grinder or something to cut through Plastic
-Safety Glasses:rolleyes:
-Drill with 1/2 inch drill bit​

-First I went to Autozone and picked up some universal to hooks from Reese they are rated for 10,000 lbs

-Now remove the bumper from the ex use PB Blaster on the nuts with the breaker bar this is where the rag comes in handy.

-Take the Hooks and put the first bolt through the one closest to the hook this is to line it up with a preexisting hole that is in the bottom of the frame rail

-Now mark the rear hole on the frame and start drilling use the WD 40 to lube up the drill bit, VERY IMPORTANT

-You have to cut out the piece of metal in the middle of the bumper mounting plate in order to get the open ended wrench in there.

-Once you have drilled the hole install the Hooks to the frame tighten up so the lock washer is compressed,

-Now place the bumper back on the truck but dont put on the nuts this is to mark out wherever you want the cuts to be

My measurement was...

all cut up, you can clean up the cuts with a sharp razor

Here they are on the truck

Now a reliable way to get pulled out of those places bite off more than i can chew...Hope it helps, if i missed anything dont hesitate...
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very nicely done. But... Do you have enough room to get a tow rope on the hook itself? In the last picture it looks like a tight fit. I still hope to do something like this to my sport but i was going to use f150 tow hooks. Surely a worth while mod.

normally you'd want the holes to go through both sides of the frame. it will be interesting to see if your frame isnt turned into a pretzel

looks good

I've got a pair of the same hooks but I'm going to wait until I get a brush guard to install them. Also thought about mounting them in the rear.

There is actually a few write ups on putting tow hooks on 2nd gens already just have to look around for them, and some second gens did come with front tow hooks the 2000 up sports had the option and if you can find those I think they bolt right on.

I attached mine the same way but used some 1/2 ton gm tow hooks from the junk yard and those things are beef, these are the same style I ran on my old Ex and found it more difficult to attach straps too is another reason for using bigger hooks.

XLT- Thanks...Theres about two inches between the actual hooks and the Bumper so if i needed to get a tow strap in there i could. I was looking at the F150 tow hooks but just went with the Reese.
Electro- I was thinking the same thing when i bought them but they only came with these Bolts (I think their grade 8's) I may modify it some more and drill through the entire rails, But i do have to say I had to drill through two layers of steel so that spot is reinforced.
asking- for the rear i was just thinking of putting a Hitch in that is always a good tow point for the rear

Hey Yellow ford I have searched several times and couldnt find anything I knew someone had to have done a writeup on this this was a $20 mod and little time spent im always open for changes in the future do you know the theads names by any chance or what to search for

@Rick These pics are all the same was this the error from a couple weeks back?

Back