Tow rope | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tow rope

Well the other day I was pulling out some trees with my awd mountaineer. The first tree I hooked to I let her rip and was surprised because I got my tires spining. Got the tree riped out and moved on to the next. Hooked up and let her rip and next thing I know every thing was free. So I get out to look and I find this.

IMG_3179.jpg

Woops. It was a cheap one any way. The weird thing was I bearly tugged on it. All well I wanted a better one any way. So I went out and bought a 20' 15000lbs breaking strength strap. Do I need to do anything to it before I start using it?

Kevin

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I hope your new one is a real tow strap, with looped ends instead of hooks. That one you broke, I wouldn't trust to pull my trashcan, and it's on wheels!

yup, invest in a real strap. I got one from procomp and im pretty happy with it. If you do alot of pulling trees and whatever I would get 2. One for abuse and one for pulling trucks. Puling alot of trees my first stray is getting frayed and torn up so I dont trust it for trucks anymore.

That other rope you pictured looks like a nylon shoelace.

Ya I got one with loops. The one I broke was one that I got for christmas one year. Much better one is in the truck now.

Rope for pulling trees? Not on my watch! Rope or recovery straps are designed to stretch, storing energy. If the tree/shrub/root/fence post lets loose while the rope or strap has all that energy stored-up, it acts like a sling shot, and the results aren't pretty.

Chain is the way to go for extracting nature's glory. No question about it.

-Joe

I am with GIJOECAM. I heard a story of a farming pulling stumps with a big 4wd tractor and tow rope/strap, and the stump ended up going thru the cab, right where the farmer was sitting.

93nav

You should also keep in mind that you should not "let'er rip with a tow strap. Take the slack out first then slow gentle pressure. Yanking is not a good idea with a strap or chain.

You should also keep in mind that you should not "let'er rip with a tow strap. Take the slack out first then slow gentle pressure. Yanking is not a good idea with a strap or chain.

Sorry when I said "let her rip" I meant the I slowly went untill the all of the slack was out of the strap and slowly gave it gas. Im not to big on yanking on stuff.

Rope for pulling trees? Not on my watch! Rope or recovery straps are designed to stretch, storing energy. If the tree/shrub/root/fence post lets loose while the rope or strap has all that energy stored-up, it acts like a sling shot, and the results aren't pretty.

Chain is the way to go for extracting nature's glory. No question about it.

-Joe

Indeed.

Just pulled 4 stumps (well, 4' tall stumps) up at my buddy's house with the X. Wrapped the winch cable around the stump, dampened the cable in case of breakage, put the X against another stump and viola!!! Stumps came out easy!

12000 lb winch does pretty darn well as a stump extractor!

I hope your new one is a real tow strap, with looped ends instead of hooks. That one you broke, I wouldn't trust to pull my trashcan, and it's on wheels!

Perhaps this is a dumb question, but what's wrong with a strap with hooks?

Perhaps this is a dumb question, but what's wrong with a strap with hooks?

Hooks are FAR more failure-prone than closed shackles. Open hooks are loaded in bending no matter which way you connect it, and any metal is weaker in bending than any other loading.

Hooks are FAR more failure-prone than closed shackles. Open hooks are loaded in bending no matter which way you connect it, and any metal is weaker in bending than any other loading.

What if the hook were used to tie to the rope (through a hole), creating a loop? If that makes sense. Then would some of the tension be on the rope, as well as the hook?

Sure, but then you would have a choking situation, which isn't good for the longevity of the strap itself. Also, depending on what it's wrapped around, you could actually be placing other stresses on the hools. Hooks are not meant to take side loads, and unless you're going around a relatively large object, the hook won't be loaded the way it's designed. IMHO, there are much better (safer? Stronger? More secure?) ways to rig recovery straps to a vehicle than using open hooks.

if a hook fails it does damage breaks windows skulls anything it hits. if its a strap with loops there is not as much weight on the ends. yes it can still do damage but its not as significant or deadly.

Wire Rope

I use roughly the equilivent of 22,000lb aircraft cable. I salvaged it from an old elevator. Its really flexable and coils easily for storage.

bat

Just go for a chain its cheep and strong..i use them all the time to pull out stumps and small trees

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

there are so many reasons why not to use chain for pulling out vehicles. Bushes and stumps, yes, trucks, def not.

Back