• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Towed to Dealer After Engine Stopped

hbalek

Reaction score
City, State
Kensington, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Today I was leaving my house going up a hill and the engine stopped and wouldn't restart. I called Roadside Assistance and they said maybe it is out of gas even though I told them the gauge indicated about 3 gallons left. They sent a tow truck company with 2.5 gallons of gas but it still wouldn't restart and would just crank. It seemed to turn over once or twice but wouldn't stay running. There was no check engine light or messages on the screen or on my FordPass app. So I had it towed to the dealership on a Sunday afternoon and had to Uber home. Now I have to wait for them to check it and call me back hopefully tomorrow. I have 10,827 miles on it after about 11 months of ownership, mostly problem free until today. Before 4,000 miles, I had the check engine light come on twice but a PCM reprogram/reset/update seemed to take care of the problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Did you try to start it again after it was delivered to the dealership? Just curious.

Peter

hbalek

Reaction score
City, State
Kensington, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Did you try to start it again after it was delivered to the dealership? Just curious.

Peter

Yes I did and still nothing. The dealership called at 4 pm saying he should know something tomorrow morning when they get it looked at.

NEWPORTNJ

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 ST EXPLORER
ST.
Sounds like fuel pump issue.

hbalek

Reaction score
City, State
Kensington, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Sounds like fuel pump issue.
It seems you are correct! They ordered a new fuel pump today and got me in a loaner car. As a funny side note, today as I was speaking on the phone with the service advisor and he told me the tech was able to diagnose the problem and had listed parts on my work order but did not see what they were, my FordPass app blew up with notifications. They essentially said it was a fuel pump malfunction and needed service otherwise it would stall and fail to start, which is exactly what happened on Sunday. I guess when the tech was able to start and diagnose, FordPass lit up with malfunction indicators.

blwnsmoke

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
It seems you are correct! They ordered a new fuel pump today and got me in a loaner car. As a funny side note, today as I was speaking on the phone with the service advisor and he told me the tech was able to diagnose the problem and had listed parts on my work order but did not see what they were, my FordPass app blew up with notifications. They essentially said it was a fuel pump malfunction and needed service otherwise it would stall and fail to start, which is exactly what happened on Sunday. I guess when the tech was able to start and diagnose, FordPass lit up with malfunction indicators.

First fuel pump failure we have seen on here so definitely not common and shouldn't happen again.

hbalek

Reaction score
City, State
Kensington, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer ST
First fuel pump failure we have seen on here so definitely not common and shouldn't happen again.
I hope you're right! I had almost made it to a year in early December without any issues that required repairs other than routine maintenance. One of the sales managers said the 2.7 in the F-150's have had fuel tank/pump issues when parked on inclines and low on gas.